Jumped on the Atrax band wagon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Matt Cotton

Matt Cotton

I thought that I would try some of the Atrax kits from Exotic Blanks, I like that the hardware is very clean without a lot of extras.

Pictures 1 & 4 is a Brooks Mystic Electric Blue, I got a little too fancy with my reverse painting. The barrel is reverse painted black, the cap I reverse painted black from the thread side and then white from the finial side. It made it a little more on the gray side, but it really shows a lot of depth in the blue swirls. I added a matching finial on this and think it turned out pretty good.

Picture 2 & 3 are an Amalga-Mutt Prime Red Tide on a Gold Atrax, still struggling with the CA finish but was able to keep most of my finger prints this time. I am starting to really like these Amalga-Mutt blanks, if I can figure out getting a good finish without having to heal for a week it would be great.

Thanks for looking, comments & critiques are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Electric Blue-Atrax2.jpg
    Electric Blue-Atrax2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 273
  • Prime Red Tide-Atrax3.jpg
    Prime Red Tide-Atrax3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 257
  • Prime Red Tide-Atrax4.jpg
    Prime Red Tide-Atrax4.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 256
  • Electric Blue-Atrax3.jpg
    Electric Blue-Atrax3.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 257
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I thought that I would try some of the Atrax kits from Exotic Blanks, I like that the hardware is very clean without a lot of extras.

Pictures 1 & 4 is a Brooks Mystic Electric Blue, I got a little too fancy with my reverse painting. The barrel is reverse painted black, the cap I reverse painted black from the thread side and then white from the finial side. It made it a little more on the gray side, but it really shows a lot of depth in the blue swirls. I added a matching finial on this and think it turned out pretty good.

Picture 2 & 3 are an Amalga-Mutt Prime Red Tide on a Gold Atrax, still struggling with the CA finish but was able to keep most of my finger prints this time. I am starting to really like these Amalga-Mutt blanks, if I can figure out getting a good finish without having to heal for a week it would be great.

Thanks for looking, comments & critiques are greatly appreciated.

First of all, great looking pens!

As for the CA problem, I use a piece of cardboard or fiberboard between my fingers and the CA application pad. That insulates them from the glue so they don't get stuck to everything.

Keep up the great work!

I personally don't do it, but I know some folks use a plastic bag to keep the applicator from getting stuck to their finger.

I use a folded paper towel and move quickly...

Nice pens!

PTsideshow

Great looking pens, Having just started to collect the the materials and equipment, tools etc. To start turning again and pens in general, I have been renting video's on wood turning and pent/pencil turning. A number of people use daubers for CA that are made out of poly fiber fill with a small masking tape handle. The CA adhesive doesn't stick to the fingers, as the poly fiber fill conforms to the shape of the turning pen. I haven't tried it myself, but maybe somebody else has.

I have no practical experience with it but it did look like a very slick way to apply the CA , with out the problems and dangers of skin lose.

The poly fiber fill is the stuff that is used in some coats, pillows, quilts and the like.
:clown:

Old Lar

I use a folded paper shop towel and keep a plastic bag between the towel and my fingers. Works for me. We all have a bunch of plastic bags and it keeps my fingers clean.
Forgot to mention that those are nice pens. Great job on them. I'll have to give them a try.

Last edited:

Matt Cotton

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I might need to get some different CA. I tried the plastic bag and I use the nitrite gloves but the CA eats through both. I am using ZAP thin & medium CA that I picked up from the local hobby store.

Drstrangefart

I used to stick an old playing card inside the folds of the paper towel I was using. Then I just got used to working with the window of time I had and also folded the towel an extra time. Those two things made the difference for me.

Brooks803

They both look great! My opinion of the electric blue is fairly obvious but the Mutt is awesome! They look best to me when they have that balance of resin to wood. Great job on both!

Top Bottom