Judas Tree Tempest Click pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tjd

tjd

A Tempest Gold plate Click pen . Made using Judas Tree Wood and finished with Lacquer and gunstock burnishing cream.

I turned a little proud and buffed the tip unfortunately losing some gold plate .
Lesson learned not to do that again.

PC156133.JPG

PC156136.JPG

PC156132.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Overall that's a beauty !!!! . I love the wood, the finish, and the lines of the kit !!!!!!

But where's your little dragon friend ?? :biggrin::confused:

Last edited:

robutacion

G'day mate,

I like what you've done with that blank and I would be interested in knowing if those are blanks from trees/logs you collected or you purchased them somewhere?

The reason of my interest is that, I don't recall to ever heard of this Judas Tree even though, some of the pics I've seen on Google of its flowers, they look familiar.

I have recently found a new tree species locally that I also never had heard of it and it is called "Tree of Haven" so, I thought most interesting if I could get some of these blanks for myself. I can swap or pay for them, no problem.

Is it possible...?

Let me know,

Cheers
George

bedangerous

Judas tree is of the redbud species. Small purple-violet/red colored flowers in the Spring. Nice wood color and easy to work with. Small trees with a heart shaped leaf. Lost one to lightning strike and it has a warm appearing wood that is brownish amber.

tjd

G'day mate,

I like what you've done with that blank and I would be interested in knowing if those are blanks from trees/logs you collected or you purchased them somewhere?

The reason of my interest is that, I don't recall to ever heard of this Judas Tree even though, some of the pics I've seen on Google of its flowers, they look familiar.

I have recently found a new tree species locally that I also never had heard of it and it is called "Tree of Haven" so, I thought most interesting if I could get some of these blanks for myself. I can swap or pay for them, no problem.

Is it possible...?
no sorry , Australian customs forbid timber from another country , they have confiscated pens given to my daughter going to live in australia.
I bought these from a british supplier but they are very rare. I have some a friend has been promising to give me but that was 4 months ago and still waiting

Cheers
George
Answer in above response

robutacion

G'day mate,

Is it possible...?
no sorry , Australian customs forbid timber from another country , they have confiscated pens given to my daughter going to live in australia.
I bought these from a british supplier but they are very rare. I have some a friend has been promising to give me but that was 4 months ago and still waitin
g

Cheers
George
Answer in above response

Well, I can guarantee you that your statement is incorrect, I receive wood from other countries all the time, particularly from the USA, I just receive my order from Mark James from here (IAP) a few days ago so, Australia allows wood from being imported into Australia.

The true reason your pens were confiscated by Australia Customs, as you say, would have to be from something else, such as pens made with bones and other similar items, it may have been from the description you put in the form, it should have been a number of reasons but not because Australia does not allow the import of woods however, there are conditions that are required for that wood to be accepted, such as having no bark, borer holes and any sign of infestation.

If you are willing to spare 2 of those blanks and send them to me, we can discuss payment or blanks swap, whatever...!

Let me know.

Cheers
George

tjd

G'day mate,

Is it possible...?
I bought these from a british supplier but they are very rare. I have some a friend has been promising to give me but that was 4 months ago and still waitin
g

Cheers
George
Answer in above response

Well, I can guarantee you that your statement is incorrect, I receive wood from other countries all the time, particularly from the USA, I just receive my order from Mark James from here (IAP) a few days ago so, Australia allows wood from being imported into Australia.

The true reason your pens were confiscated by Australia Customs, as you say, would have to be from something else, such as pens made with bones and other similar items, it may have been from the description you put in the form, it should have been a number of reasons but not because Australia does not allow the import of woods however, there are conditions that are required for that wood to be accepted, such as having no bark, borer holes and any sign of infestation.

If you are willing to spare 2 of those blanks and send them to me, we can discuss payment or blanks swap, whatever...!

Let me know.

Cheers
George

Thanks for the info regarding the customs, my Welsh Oak pens were confiscated by your customs for whatever reason they decided.
This timber is very rare and i only have 5 pieces left, if like i said my friend has some to give me i will send you a couple of blanks.

robutacion

G'day mate,

Is it possible...?
g

Cheers
George
Answer in above response

Let me know.

Cheers
George

Thanks for the info regarding the customs, my Welsh Oak pens were confiscated by your customs for whatever reason they decided.
This timber is very rare and i only have 5 pieces left, if like i said my friend has some to give me i will send you a couple of blanks.

I only wish I could tell you what Customs are thinking, not only in Australia but all over the world to which I send wood often, I have had parcels being confiscated and or returned to sender and even destroyed without be given any reason when identical items have been sent to the same locations and inspected by customs without any issues, your guess is as good as mine.

I wasn't aware that wood was that rare, it could have been the most common wood in your location, that wouldn't make any difference to me, was simply its name that brought my attention and nothing more. Such as so many other interesting woods (colours/grains or names) I got from overseas destinations are put in a shelf among hundreds and then forgotten so, there is no drama at all, don't worry...

Cheers
George

Reactions: tjd

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Thomas - I did a little further research on redbud & Judas Tree. It seems that the Cercis genus is generally called redbuds, but only the Cercis siliquastrum should properly be called Judas Tree or European Redbud.

What we have in Texas is most likely Cercis canadensis or Eastern Redbud. It is native to a small part of Texas, but is often planted in other areas of the state as well. There are a few others found in the USA (mexicana, reniformis & occidentalis) that might also be in our Texas nurseries - I just never paid that close of attention to them.

Redbud trees are commonly called Judas Trees, but it looks like that moniker should only be applied to one specific species. I'll have to keep a lookout for some of that wood, so you might have some competition next time it comes up on ebay. :)

Top Bottom