Jr. Statesmand II in Blue Lapis TruStone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tage

Tage

So this is my first pen posting here. A couple of weeks ago I posted some questions about turning TruStone and got lots of good advice and encouragement. I promised that, if successful, I would post the pen. This was actually a team effort between my 12 year old son and I (truth be told, he did most of the work). Special thanks to Snyiper for the carbide tool.....worked like a charm! Good people here on this forum.

Some lessons learned. 1) TruStone, while more difficult than anything we have turned, is doable, and I look forwar to working with it again. 2) TruStone is a bear to polish. Sanded 220, 320, 400, 600, MM, and PSI's plastic polish and it still had scratches. Mequiar's ScratchX and PlastX did the trick, 2) Carbide tools make a huge difference. Started out with HSS roughing gouge and skew......let's just say I got lots of practice sharpening! When we switched to the carbide tool, it was much easier.

I know I'm a terrible photographer....something else to work on, but these pics give the general idea.

100_0304.jpg

100_0303.jpg

100_0300.jpg

100_0296.jpg
He gets to do all the dirty work! :)

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sancho

Very nice pen, a classic. The lapiz is one I have not yet turned, but when I eventually do I will heed your advice. Have you ever tried "Mother's Mag Polish"? Its cheaper than EEE cream and you can get it anywhere.

seamus7227

Pen looks great. You should try wet sanding thru all the grits next time. Lay a rag(towel) over the bed so you dont get any over spray on it and have an extra rag handy to wipe the blank off between grits. Use a jar filled halfway with water, dip MM in water, and sand, and re-dip (to rinse pad of residue)and move on to the next grit.

Tage

Pen looks great. You should try wet sanding thru all the grits next time. Lay a rag(towel) over the bed so you dont get any over spray on it and have an extra rag handy to wipe the blank off between grits. Use a jar filled halfway with water, dip MM in water, and sand, and re-dip (to rinse pad of residue)and move on to the next grit.

Seamus,
I always wet sand with MM. I'm thinking that maybe I should have started with 320 rather than 220, just a bit too aggressive. Anyway....the Meguiar's took care of it. The pen definitely looks better in person than in my pics. Thanks.

Top Bottom