Jr. Statesman in Myrtlewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Here is one I thought I would share with everyone. The blank was a piece of plain looking myrtlewood. I didn't realize it had the curl to it until I had it turned. I've been surprised by myrtlewood so many times in both pens and bowls. It's a nice wood to work with. As always, any comments or observations appreciated.

2005383223_JrStCurlyMyrtlewood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very beautifull pen Gary. Never cut any mrytle wood. Great looking flame pattern. The finish really makes it look deep. Good one.

pipemaker

Gary,
Both the pen and finish are outstanding.
You are absolutely correct about Myrtlewood, you never know what you will find until you turn it. I have been pleased more often than I have been disappointed.

Gary

Originally posted by pipemaker
<br />Gary,
Both the pen and finish are outstanding.
You are absolutely correct about Myrtlewood, you never know what you will find until you turn it. I have been pleased more often than I have been disappointed.

I agree, Mike. It's a rewarding wood to work with. I wish I could get more of the quality stuff, but it's pretty much bought up by folks living on the West Coast.

Gary

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Comments, with a pen like that you don't need no stinkin' comments. The thing speak volumes for itself. Great pen!

Thanks Shane, that's the ultimate compliment...makes me want to turn one better next time.

Gary

Originally posted by penworks
<br />Very beautifull pen Gary. Never cut any mrytle wood. Great looking flame pattern. The finish really makes it look deep. Good one.

Anthony, you live out west, you should look for it. The best wood comes from the Oregon coastal area where the tree is really stressed. It can exhibit some stunning grain pattern and color.

Gary

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />Hi Gary,

That finish is amazing, can you tell what process you followed? Great looking pen!!

Jim, I'm from the old school of lacquer finishing...that's all I use. Finishing for this pen was as follows:

Sanded to 800 grit
One coat of sanding sealer
Lightly sand again with 800 grit
Five coats of guitar lacquer
Final leveling/polish with Micro Mesh (3200-12000)
Renaissance Wax
Hand buff

Cheers!

PenWorks

I hear it come up allot, I bet I even have some burried somewhere in my stash. I remeber Jim Martin, my gun buddy making some mrytle wood grips. Will have to check it out. I have a buddy that lives in Oregon on the coast, I just may call him, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom