Jr Statesman - Amboyna Burl & Bloodwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodpens

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpens

I was experimenting a little today. I put Bloodwood inlays in an Amboyna Burl pen. I was hoping for more contrast, but the Amboyna Burl came out darker than I expected. The accent on the lower barrel is knife separator material. I have red, black and ivory in this material. I think I ordered it from Jantz. Don't pay any attention to the photo editing. I am trying to learn how to use Paint Shop Pro.

2004123143019_Statesman.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Vern

Jim, I really like your inlay work. Sometimes I think it's harder doing the photo work than it is to build the darn pens! Looks like you're well on the way though.

Vern

Tom McMillan

Beautiful pen Jim---you're gettin pretty good at that photo stuff--somebody's gonna have a time teachin me that---wish I could---but, maybe I can get my good buddy Tim to teach me that in trade for a photo in his album---better watch him close---he'll probably want this nice pen in his album too.

woodpens

Thank you all for your comments! I still feel a bit "creatively challenged" regarding the colors. What wood or other material would look good on Amboyna Burl with this hardware? Maybe mother of pearl would work. What do you think?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Jim, I think the subtle difference in colors is quite striking... I also think that gabon ebony would make a striking contrast with the red of the amboya burl and the silver of the kit..
If you are feeling extremely creative, you might also want to try a metallic inlay of bright brass or aluminum if your machinery can do it... I don't know all that much about how that works..
Just my 2 cents... but I love the way you do your inlays... I wish I had that capability... would you consider doing an article about it... I know that Woodturning Design is always looking for article like that... I write for their sister publication Creative Craft about scrollsawing.. they are great people to deal with..

Tom McMillan

I do like the subtle contrast on this pen Jim---I think I'd like ebony (or black steelwood---gotta get some of that yet), for more contrast. The mother of pearl and ivory (or imitation ivory maybe) sound good too!!

woodpens

Thanks again. Serge, the Amboyna Burl did indeed come from Bill Baumbeck. He has a wonderful selection of fancy wood.

I routinely use Blackwood and real ivory. Mother of pearl is tough to do without cracking, but this pattern is large enough such that it wouldn't be a problem here. After I catch up on my recent orders, I'll have to do some more experimenting. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Griz, I just finished an article on inlays. I emailed it to Jeff for posting here. Do you think I should give it to Woodturning Design instead? Jeff said it would be several days before he could post it.

wayneis

Jim Grizzly has some nice stuff in their catalog that if used in making guitars that also would look good for inlay. Pua shell is one, I can't remember the rest off hand. How about some of the crushed stone like BB sells?

Wayne

woodpens

Wayne, those are some excellent ideas. I have not even tried pouring anything into the pockets. I'll bet a Mesquite pen with crushed Turquoise would look good. Thanks again!

wayneis

Jim out of curiosity I just looked at a Grizzly catalog and they do indeed have some materials that at least to me would look great as an inlay. They have a couple kinds of Abalone and also select mother of pearl that looks pretty good. Also another place to check out is Cue Components if you have not already. They sell all kinds of material for making pool cues including some flat out georgous woods. I've bought from them a couple times and they have premium woods, the only thing is that unless you are you of their customers they will not take any time with you on the phone giving advice. If you are a customer they are very nice to work with but I have heard a couple people that were not happy that they wouldn't chat on the telephone with them.

Wayne

woodpens

I normally buy inlay material and my end millls from Atlas Billiards. I'll take a look at Grizzly and Cue Components. I would love to get some Abalone shell.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I would definately suggest that you contact Woodturning Design... they will request that it not be posted or distributed to anyone else until it has appeared in their magazine.. but that is standard in the industry...
The worst they can tell you is that they are not interested.. best scenario, you become a published author and make a couple of bucks... and it can't hurt your business any either... I get a load of business from the articles I write for Creative Crafts...
Here is the link to their submissions guidline section... http://www.woodturningdesign.com/submissions/index.html
You can tell them I sent you, Joe Herrmann does not know me, but mention that I write for Creative Crafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom