Jr. Retro- First Cholla Blank & turned end cap.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jjjaworski

jjjaworski

I made this Jr. Retro using a cast cholla blank I got in a trade from an IAP member. It's my first pen using a blank like this.

It was a learning experience but enjoyable. While I was at it, I decided to try and match the resin color with a new end cap button.( There is probably a more appropriate term but I don't know it yet )

The fit is a bit off most likely because of the CA finish applied. It will work out fine as a carry pen for a nimrod like myself.

The rattlesnake popped out of some clump grass about 2 feet from where I started to take pictures. we have had some rain and they tend to be forced out of their dens. I moved to a better location.

Jim

Attachments

• JrRetro:Cholla1d.jpg
    JrRetro:Cholla1d.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 174
  • JrRetro:Cholla1c.jpg
    JrRetro:Cholla1c.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 168
  • JrRetro:Cholla1b.jpg
    JrRetro:Cholla1b.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 140
  • JrRetro:Cholla1a.jpg
    JrRetro:Cholla1a.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 176
  • rattler5:13:12.jpg
    rattler5:13:12.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Dang Jim, that looks great. Really glad you liked the blank. Great job matching the Lavender color. I am actually working on a Giant Cholla Retro too and was looking at the finial and trying to figure out how to get it out.

BSea

That is one nice pen. I love doing cap finials. Yours looks perfect. Normally, I'm not a big fan of purple, but I think this is one I'd carry. Plus, I really like the jr reto style.

I am actually working on a Giant Cholla Retro too and was looking at the finial and trying to figure out how to get it out.
If you have a punch set, just take the punch that fits the cap, and take a hammer & hit the punch. I usually just hold the cap & punch in my hand (kind of like holding a baseball bat). Probably not the best way, but it works for me.

jjjaworski

Dang Jim, that looks great. Really glad you liked the blank. Great job matching the Lavender color. I am actually working on a Giant Cholla Retro too and was looking at the finial and trying to figure out how to get it out.

The finial on mine was made of metal. I knocked it out with a punch by placing the end cap over a block of maple with a relief hole to support the cap. It came out pretty easy. I used it to get measurements for the finial.

I epoxied a small cutoff onto a longer one so I could turn the finial. Shaped it and did all the wet sanding and polishing before turning down the small stem that positions it in the end cap.

Thanks for the blank Chris. It was fun to make something out of it. I learned a lot on this pen.

Nice pen. Nice snake. You should carry a pistol along with your camera just for moments like that.

Tom

Since I was at home I just went and got a shovel to make it into roadrunner food. It did startle me when it popped out of the grass. They have their purpose in the food chain but are not welcome around my house:).

Top Bottom