Jr Retro and Brown Mallee Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keithbyrd

keithbyrd

This is my first Brown Mallee Burl - Really like the way it turns and finishes. Sanded to 600, 18 coats of CA, MM to 12000, Hut Ultra Polish, Ren Wax.
Now I need to learn to turn a finial!
Comments and critiques welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 116
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Nice job Keith, good lookin piece wood.
I just finished my first Retro yesterday with matching finial.
I used a transfer punch in my drill press to press the finial out, took several measurements, used a skew & parting tool to get it close to final size then MM & parted it off. When i was done, wasnt as hard to do as i thought. Little spot of epoxy to hold it in too.
Harry

keithbyrd

I appreciate the feedback from Scott and Harry - thank you. A couple of weeks back there was a healthy discussion thread regarding providing constructive feedback. I thought the general consensus was that people posted because we were looking or constructive feedback and most of us we trying to get better at this craft - I know I am - but I get discouraged because I post things and owill have 1, 2, 3 hundred views and 3 or 4 comments. I feel like I am missing out on the feedback I should be getting from the artists/craftsmen on this site which is hindering my improvement!

longbeard

dont get discouraged
i look at it that if no one points out the bad, then maybe there is no bad.
i'm not a pro photographer but your pics look good also and like Scott, fit & finish looks good
Harry

bench1holio

great pen keith, i reckon brown mallee burl is highly under rated!!

dont get discouraged
i look at it that if no one points out the bad, then maybe there is no bad.
i'm not a pro photographer but your pics look good also and like Scott, fit & finish looks good
Harry

i agree.. "no news is good news", but sometimes a little bit of praise gives a whole lot of encouragement!:)

keithbyrd

Thanks Glenn - I was trying to get depth in the finish to enhance the burl. I don't know if it would have been the same if I stopped at 10!

Top Bottom