Jr. Gent with weave inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mhbeauford

mhbeauford

Jr Gent with a weave type inlay. Second pen I have made with this kind of inlay. Inlay is a 5 layer veneer and slots are 3/32 ".

1_Weave2_1.jpg

1_Weave2_2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

A beautiful pen and an amazing blank. I have no idea about how one of those would be made or the amount of time involved. Great work on both.
Charles

mhbeauford

Super blank, share how you do that?

See the one I posted earlier. I put in a fair amount of detail on how I made it. It's a single on an Elegant Beauty. If that's not a enough let me know, I have no secrets! BTW the blank ended up 5/8 " round. I thought that was going to be too thin to drill, so I wrapped it with nylon cord, like chalk line cord, and soaked it in thin CA and then turned BTC to 3/4 ". Then drilled with a collet chuck. Had no blow out or cracks with this method.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/weave-twist-whatever-98214/

OKLAHOMAN

I've said this about your weave before, the big bird above is smiling down on this post. I thank you for showing us........Btw if you're still coming on the 23rd to the Oklahoma get together please bring this....pretty please.

SDB777

Ahh, hmmm, errr, not sure how to describe this? WOW and OUTSTANDING just doesn't quite cover it.

You must be a very patient person to bend those strips....even with a jig.

Scott (where the bowing smilie guy thing) B

mhbeauford

The only thing I don't like about it is the kit choice, it doesn't do the blank justice! Great job!

AK
Thanks, This was my first try at doing this kind of blank, I learned a lot, didn't know how well it would turn out. Next time will be better!
BTW, what kits would you recommend for this kind of blank? For best presentation the blank needs to be designed for specific diameters of finished truning.

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

The only thing I don't like about it is the kit choice, it doesn't do the blank justice! Great job!

AK
Thanks, This was my first try at doing this kind of blank, I learned a lot, didn't know how well it would turn out. Next time will be better!
BTW, what kits would you recommend for this kind of blank? For best presentation the blank needs to be designed for specific diameters of finished truning.
I'm sure you'll get 100 answers but IMO any kit without the black plastic threads (they scream cheap to me) will work. For a capped pen you could look at the Jr. Gent II or Jr. Statesmen. For single barrel the Sierra Elegent Beauty or similar. There are lots of options but I think that a fantastic blank that has so much work into it deserves a fitting kit.

AK

Top Bottom