Jr. Gent Rhodium Cash Collage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I haven't had much time to make any pens lately but was recently asked to donate something for a Juvenile Diabetes Fund Raiser. This gave me the excuse to finally finish one of these Jr. Gent money collage pens. Its Silmar 41 and hand picked shredded cash. Let me know what you think. For those of you who sell a lot of these Jr. Gents, what would you price this at, so I know what kind of value to put on it. All pics are the same pen, just different sides. All comments welcome. thanks

Attachments

• Jr Gent Money Collage 1.jpg
    Jr Gent Money Collage 1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 419
  • Jr Gent Money Collage 2.jpg
    Jr Gent Money Collage 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 285
  • Jr Gent Money Collage 4.jpg
    Jr Gent Money Collage 4.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That is pretty cool. I like the use of the longer pieces of money. Is there any laws about using money like that??? Where can you get strips of money like that, besides cutting my own up??? I am assuming these were glued to a tube and if so what type glue was used and were there any problems casting??? Thanks for the replys and thanks for showing.

JohnU

Thanks for all comments. I appreciate the value help. I never seem to price high enough and just wanted to have an idea of what to tell them its worth.

Jttheclockman, I buy shredded money that comes from the U.S. Mint, so its ok to use for pens. If you cut your own, its illegal. I buy bags by the pound and then spend a week sorting out the pieces I can use, which isnt always very much. Luckly it doesnt take a lot to make one pen. I use extra strength stick glue but give them a few days to dry before I cast. The only problem I ran into was before I colored the tubes. Money paper will turn transparent in resin and show the brass. I wrap my tubes with 2 layers of white paper but Im guessing paint would also work. I try to select strips that show the money image and alternate from front to back to give it contrast. Of course the Jr. Gent tubes gave me a challange because of the size difference, when trying to keep things lined up from top to bottom. My Cigar and Sierra pens were much easier. The rest is like any other lable cast, plug, suspend, and pour. Sometimes I have to piece parts together. If you look at the second pic, you can see where I put "federal reserve note" together from two pieces. I wish I could get a bag the right size, then I wouldnt have about 5 lbs of left overs. lol

Last edited:

broitblat

That's a great looking result, certainly different than the shredded blanks.

I'd agree with the $100 price point (or possibly more depending on how much time you spend on sorting the money, etc.)

-Barry

bkersten

JohnU, "Money paper will turn transparent in resin and show the brass".

I have gone to using chromaseal color prreserver from the attached link. I brush 2-3 coats on, letting each dry, and then cast. I've not had any unpainted brass blanks show through my lables at all. It blocks the soaking in of the PR, and retains the color of the photo. I even put a rank insignia of the current mlitary ACU uniform in a casting and there was no soaking in of the PR. Has anyone else used this and not like it, or have bad results?

http://store.scottscustomrods.com/chromasealcolorpreserver.aspx

JohnU

JohnU, "Money paper will turn transparent in resin and show the brass".

I have gone to using chromaseal color prreserver from the attached link. I brush 2-3 coats on, letting each dry, and then cast. I've not had any unpainted brass blanks show through my lables at all. It blocks the soaking in of the PR, and retains the color of the photo. I even put a rank insignia of the current mlitary ACU uniform in a casting and there was no soaking in of the PR. Has anyone else used this and not like it, or have bad results?

http://store.scottscustomrods.com/chromasealcolorpreserver.aspx

Thanks for link. I'll have to give it a try.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I think the value depends on what denomination the bill was ;-) "

Csue, I was albe to find some $5 and $20 shredded in one bag but the placement of the images on the bills dont give much when shredded. It would be nice to find a bag of shredded Grants and Benjamins!

Last edited:
Top Bottom