Jr Gent IIs- First Custom Finial & Filling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from southernclay

southernclay

Here are a couple of Jr Gent IIs

First is the Bloody Basin Red Jasper Trustone in Rhodium- Not as happy with the pics but wanted to show off my first custom finial. First time turning trustone, thumbs up. Fun project and nice skill to add

Second is Cherry Burl in Black Titanium. This was made for a good friend that helped with getting the burls this blank came from. This blank had a lot of holes so got to try out coffee grounds for the first time. Had a lot of fun on this and real happy about the picture improvement to boot.

Hope you like em, C&C encouraged and thanks for looking!

Warren

Attachments

• DSCF5438.jpg
    DSCF5438.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF5446.jpg
    DSCF5446.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCF5500.jpg
    DSCF5500.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCF5481.jpg
    DSCF5481.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF5472.jpg
    DSCF5472.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Thanks Steve! I was happy to get it and enough to stay in stock for a bit.

BTW, just saw some pine burl mixed in with some other blanks in your Etsy store, if you run into more of that I wouldn't mind to buy or trade for a few blanks.

Dick Mahany

I really like those pens and the custom finial is excellent. Really like the way you made it stand slightly proud of the finial ring. How did you attach it? Did you leave the bottom flat or turn the small diameter spigot like the originals have? Really nice work.

southernclay

Thanks all, means a lot!

Jim, I am much more confident for the next ones, but there were lots of caliper breaks on this one haha. There is just a bit of the black vein left on the finial too, thought it was going to get trimmed off but thankfully not

Dick, I left the spigot on there and glued in place with a real light dose of medium ca in a ring on the bottom so it wouldn't spurt out. I decided to do the finial as an after thought, wasn't crazy about the gold finial compared to the rest of the pen, luckily had just enough of a cutoff to hold in the pin jaws.

OZturner

Magnificent Pens, Warren .
Love your Red True Stone Blank, and your custom Finial, Looks terrific.
With the Cherry Burl, what an outstanding piece of cranky, rugged Burl, before it was tamed.
The fact that you were able to maintain the "Grain" relationship, between the body and the cap is Fantastic.
Your Fit and Finish, is Superb, hope you didn't have to drink too much Coffee to get the grounds.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom