Jr Gent II RB in a Brooks803 USA Flag Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from EarlD

EarlD

A few weeks ago I attended my first IAP meeting. It was in Atlanta at Woodcraft and Jonathan Brooks gave a demonstration of his PR casting techniques. When I arrived this one was already in the mold. When he removed it from the mold I jumped at the chance to buy it. Today I turned it, sanded through 12k mm and polished it with Beall's diamond polish and then was. Thanks, Jonathan, for a wonderful blank!

Earl

P1030519.jpg

P1030522.jpg

P1030528.jpg

P1030526.jpg

Here's a link to Jonathan's post about his full size Gent in a USA blank:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82097

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KDM

Really nice pen. Lovely blank. If you hadn't said that you'd watched it being cast, I might've thought it was one of my own from April 2010:

Your one has more swirl, though.

Do you have apiece of the blank left over? I can really recommend knocking the brass top out of the cap finial and replacing it with a suitably turned piece of the polyester.

Bobalu

Hey Earl, that blank was suppose to be mine. I had ordered 6 USA blanks from Jonathon and when I got to the meeting he could only find 5. That must have been the sixth blank. Sorry, but you'll just have to give it back.

All kidding aside, that is another super effort on your part. Great looking pen and great looking blank. Looking forward to seeing your next one.

Last edited:

IPD_Mrs

The last photo has a picture of a "roasted chicken" on the or in the blank (however you want to look at it.) I know I'm not hungry - I just ate. Jonathon must have been starving when he poured that blank. :eek: LOL.

Linda

EarlD

The last photo has a picture of a "roasted chicken" on the or in the blank (however you want to look at it.) I know I'm not hungry - I just ate. Jonathon must have been starving when he poured that blank. :eek: LOL.

Linda

Linda, I had not noticed that but my wife and I agree, it's there in that angle. Ya just never know what's going to be inside one of Jonathan's blanks. :laugh:

Earl

EarlD

Hey Earl, that blank was suppose to be mine. I had ordered 6 USA blanks from Jonathon and when I got to the meeting he could only find 5. That must have been the sixth blank. Sorry, but you'll just have to give it back.

All kidding aside, that is another super effort on your part. Great looking pen and great looking blank. Looking forward to seeing your next one.

Whew, glad you were kidding. I didn't want to have to send it away. I think this might be a keeper for me. :wink:

Earl

Bobalu

Whew, glad you were kidding. I didn't want to have to send it away. I think this might be a keeper for me. :wink:

Earl

Yes, it's a keeper for sure. I just completed a couple of cartridge pens using that same blank for the top barrel. I'll have to save one or two of these blanks for some two section pens.

Brooks803

Lol...I guess I was hungry when I cast that one. I see the roasted chicken too!

Awesome work as always Earl. Thanks for showing this. I always get to see the blanks in their raw form, but only get to see a small % of them finished. Hope you can make it to the next meeting in Sept. I'd love to see your work in person.

EarlD

Jonathan, I just checked - the date is Sept 17, 2011. I've put it on my calendar. Probably going to need another Woodcraft pen case by then. lol

Earl

EarlD

Do you have apiece of the blank left over? I can really recommend knocking the brass top out of the cap finial and replacing it with a suitably turned piece of the polyester.

Unfortunately, I drilled all the way through the blank so I didn't have a piece big enough left to make a replacement for the cap center.

Earl

Top Bottom