Jr Gent II - Olivewood - Black TI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RSidetrack

RSidetrack

As the title says, this is a Jr Gent II Postable - Olivewood - Black Titanium Pen.

This was a custom request. As most of you have gotten to know my pictures, you may pick out this pen has no shape whatsoever. This is actually the first "straight" pen I have ever done, but that is what my client requested. He also requested the Olivewood, and he had asked for Gun Metal, but I think Black Titanium is acceptable :wink:

Enjoy :cool:

Gent-1.jpg

Gent-2.jpg

Gent-3.jpg

Gent-4.jpg

Gent-5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

Very nice pen! I myself like straight pens. But I know some people like the bigger wierd shaped ones. I try to stick to whatever sells

robutacion

Nice piece of Olive wood and a great finish...!

I have noticed that, since so many pen turners went to a metal lathe for turning their pen barrels that, the straight line barrels have become more predominant...!

Is obviously a good reason for that as, is quite easy to cut a straight line in a metal lathe with either manual or automatic feeders, this is what those lathes are made for so, anything but that, has to be done manually and for that, the wood lathe is a much better option, in my view, obviously...!

Is good to have options and I certainly can see the advantages of a metal lathe with some of the materials available in our days for pen making so, if this wasn't the case here, my perception still valid, I believe...!

Cheers
George

RSidetrack

I have noticed that, since so many pen turners went to a metal lathe for turning their pen barrels that, the straight line barrels have become more predominant...!

Is obviously a good reason for that as, is quite easy to cut a straight line in a metal lathe with either manual or automatic feeders, this is what those lathes are made for so, anything but that, has to be done manually and for that, the wood lathe is a much better option, in my view, obviously...!

Is good to have options and I certainly can see the advantages of a metal lathe with some of the materials available in our days for pen making so, if this wasn't the case here, my perception still valid, I believe...!

Cheers
George

I actually didn't realize how good a straight pen would look, I may have to make a couple of them in the future.

This was not done on a metal lathe, just a wood lathe. Still easy flowing, though I found it a little out of my comfort zone since I had never done it before. The rounded pens I am used too give a little room for error, this did not :rolleyes:

robutacion

Cheers
George

I actually didn't realize how good a straight pen would look, I may have to make a couple of them in the future.

This was not done on a metal lathe, just a wood lathe. Still easy flowing, though I found it a little out of my comfort zone since I had never done it before. The rounded pens I am used too give a little room for error, this did not :rolleyes:

Well, that is one of the reasons why some many pen turners changed to a metal lathe or, have the 2 options (lathe types) and be able to use the one that will be most "suitable" for the barrel shape they want...!

Interestingly, and while I agree that, flat straight barrels can be a little tricky to achieve, accurately and consistently, on a wood lathe, we have this perception that all new pen turners should start with the most economic kits and easy to put together, and the Slims are no doubt the choice but, what I'm getting at is that, while we expect beginners to do slims, many of them, opt for the original and most accepted shape on these pens, and there is the perfectly straight barrels...!

What is most interesting is that, people say they are the "easiest" pens to make, when in reality, they are one of all kits that allows the most paper thin veneer (wood/acrylic) around that brass tube if cut straight to the bushings and, we see a lot of these beginners coming up with very thin and very well made and perfectly straight barrels, still, we don't seem to give the credit its deserved by producing such difficult work on so little or no experience and many times with very basic tools...!:eek:

Something doesn't seem right with this, huh...???

What do you think...???

Cheers
George

RSidetrack

Cheers
George

Well, that is one of the reasons why some many pen turners changed to a metal lathe or, have the 2 options (lathe types) and be able to use the one that will be most "suitable" for the barrel shape they want...!

Interestingly, and while I agree that, flat straight barrels can be a little tricky to achieve, accurately and consistently, on a wood lathe, we have this perception that all new pen turners should start with the most economic kits and easy to put together, and the Slims are no doubt the choice but, what I'm getting at is that, while we expect beginners to do slims, many of them, opt for the original and most accepted shape on these pens, and there is the perfectly straight barrels...!

What is most interesting is that, people say they are the "easiest" pens to make, when in reality, they are one of all kits that allows the most paper thin veneer (wood/acrylic) around that brass tube if cut straight to the bushings and, we see a lot of these beginners coming up with very thin and very well made and perfectly straight barrels, still, we don't seem to give the credit its deserved by producing such difficult work on so little or no experience and many times with very basic tools...!:eek:

Something doesn't seem right with this, huh...???

What do you think...???

Cheers
George

I think that you have a very good point, something doesn't seem right. I started on slimlines but I started with the curved approach, even curved it in for the index/middle finger area to rest in nice and comfortably. A lot of people liked the curves, I never tried the straight - so thin... yet you are right, it is the beginner kit of choice.

Honestly, if I were to do it over again, I would have started on the cigar pens.

Top Bottom