Jr. Gent II NC State Steampunk Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lhowell

lhowell

I got the idea for this set of blanks from looking at all of the steampunk kits out there and wanted to see how it turned out. Cut out a portion of a label on some silver foil and distressed the ink on it a bit and then went about placing distressed "armor plates" all around the tube. Gave a little pop of color here and there by painting some of the armor plates with clear red model paint. Cast in PR and mated to a chrome Jr. Gent II kit. I was pretty stunned with how it turned out! I may make a few more of these blanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4892.JPG
    IMG_4892.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_4893.jpg
    IMG_4893.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_4894.jpg
    IMG_4894.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 158

OZturner

Excellent Pen Lee.
Spectacular Blank, Great First Steam Punk Casting.
Great Fit and Finish.

I think that Steam punk, is a little more than a collection of "Random Items".

My View of a Steam Punk Blank, is that it should have a Core Theme, and that all the Components are Attributes, and should Contribute to the Theme.

For Pens, I like to the Identify that the Components, Associate and Compliment, with the Theme's Object that the Artist is Portraying.
Some Items like Clock or Watch Cogs and Gears etc, in Random positions, being used to express the Mechanical Attributes, while Armour or Boiler plate to indicate Components of the Intended Power Source.

Perhaps I am trying to make more of "Steam Punk", than others who may have different View's.

The Concept, that I subscribe too, of "Steam Punk", for me had it's origin, from the Scouting Movement back in the 40's, with the works of William Heath Robinson, a notable Cartoonist and Illustrator of Complex, Weird Machinery, designed to manually perform simple everyday tasks, using common, recognizable and readily available, materials.

Some Examples at http://socks-studio.com/2016/11/07/william-heath-robinsons-wacky-inventions
Or from the later American Rube Goldberg at http://coolmaterial.com/roundup/rube-goldberg-machines/

Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:
Top Bottom