Jr. Gent II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from smoky10

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoky10

This is the new Jr. Gent II in 10k gold. I had to try it so I bought the different bits and bushings. I like the feel, of the slightly larger than the baron, pen and the color and finish are great. The only trouble I had was trying to screw the cap on[V]. I was getting frustrated trying to screw :(it on and finally it just went on very easy. Everytime I take the cap off I have trouble getting it back on. This is the one reason I will but BARONS over this kit. This pen is made of acacia that Dario was so generous to send me some. Beautiful wood.:D

2005610225139_Jr%20gent%20II.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ryan

Interesting as it was re-designed to fix this problem[B)] I will be watching to see if anyone else has the same problem.

Ryan

smoky10

This is the only one that I have turned and I have more of them. If I have trouble with the next one I won't use the rest.

Originally posted by Ryan
<br />Interesting as it was re-designed to fix this problem[B)] I will be watching to see if anyone else has the same problem.

Ryan

Rudy Vey

This is really a frustation, I had lots of problems with the first version - all kits replaced with good ones by CSUSA.
Like Tony I am not too happy to see similar problems with the second version that should have not showing the old problems.
Guess I am sticking with Barons for the future.

wayneis

Rich K. made some of these a couple weeks ago and did a review and didn't have any problems so I'm not giving up on them. I like the Baron but I like the Jr, Statesman more. What is even better is mixing the two by using the nib from the Baron on the Jr Statesman.

Wayne

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
I wonder what you mean by 'had trouble screwing the cap on'. The jrG2 has a very different problem from the 1st version. In the first one, the thread fit was either too tight or too loose. Can you describe exactly what problem you are having? I definitely agree it is not perfect. The problem I see is thread pre-alignment. Is that what you mean? To start a pen cap, the barrels need to line up straight. Many kit pens are pretty fussy about getting the threads started. Often you have to turn counterclockwise while pressing the parts together lightly, until you hear or rather feel a click, then go forward. I find this very frustrating, and it's a design problem. Many earlier kit pens had that, but in recent years, manufacturers seem to have caught on. The original El Grande had this problem, then they did a design revision, and, it was fixed. Now the jrG2 has a similar problem. Luckily, it can be fixed by the penmaker that cares to go to a little extra trouble. See my article posted at yahoo penturners http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/files/Special%20Techniques/Improving%20a%20jr%20Statesman.pdf

I made Craft Supplies USA aware of this, and they are working on a fix with the manufacturer so the extra work won't be necssary (no outlook in terms of timing)

I think thread pre-alignment is an essential prerequisite for making a high quality threaded-cap pen. The best kit ever for that (that I have encountered)is the Ambassador from woodchuckers. Not a perfect kit, but great threads. Gentleman is a newer version out of the same stable, and not as good for threads (though a better kit). Manufacturers need to learn that this is really important, if they want to push prices up. Seems like there is still a lack of awareness, or such a design as in the jrG2 would not hit the streets.

Daniel

I agree with Richard. The original problem was threads that did not match so the cap would simply slip over rather than thread on. Difficulty in threading the cap on I have also noticed withthe Gent pen quite often. I have noticed that there seems to be actually three or four threads. Making thre or four :channels: that the cap thread can follow. while one or two make work smoothly on any given kit. the others will seem a bit rough. in the last two gent pens I have made I have threaded the cap on from four seperate starting points and all have smoothed out.
I did this as Richard describes above. I start by turning the cap backwards 1/4 turn then turn it farwards utnil it starts to thread on. if it goes smoothly all is well. if not I simply keep applying pressure utnil it does thread on. usually there is only resisatnce right at the start of the threads. it will then twist smoothly. I then turn the cap completely of again turn it anouther 1/4 turn backwards and catch what to me seems anouther set of threads. often this one is also rough at the start. but a bit more pressure will cause the cap to "Break through"
I hae gotten all my caps to thread smoothly from any starting point this way. of course make sure you have the cap on squarely before applying to much pressure.
this is really a simple to do just a bit complicated to explaine.

smoky10

I was sitting here playing with this pen and getting more upset when I decided to get out the magnifying glass and see if I could see the problem. Well, I did see it, a tiny piece of plastic was in one of the threads. I removed it with my knife blade and it works better now.[:I] Not as good as the baron but better. Since that was my only fault with the pen I guess I like it now.[:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
tom the pen you posted is beatiful!
As for those that like the baron I admit It is a gorgeous pen, but the size of the nib and holder is almost if not as small as a slim line as they are not comfortable for me to write with,teh siz sides feel staarnge but as I said it is a beautiful pen and I plan to turn more.
The stream line American rollerball has a 4 position cap.I found it worked well to place the cap on the threads and "back it" until I felt it catch then twist it on.
No, that shoiuldn't be necessaary but it works.

SOrry for the Hijack,

Dario

Tom,

Nice pen!

I should thank you for showing interest on acacia. A neighbor cut down a tree about 18" dia so I got the 3 biggest crotch pieces :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom