JR Gent dressed in Segmented Black Walnut and Maple Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
This is my second JR Gent. and I wanted to try it with a segmented blank. I used black walnut and Tiger Striped Maple. I only and the gold plating but I think it is a good pairing with the blank. I tried to get the end segmented as closed to the same size and I thing the came out really well, even thought the were cut long and the final size was set but how deep I set the brass tube. I did this in prep for a blue and gold segmented blank I'm planning on doing in acrylic. I sanded the blank to 12000MM and used my normal WFT finish. As always any and all comments are welcome. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 141
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

Wow Dan. That looks outstanding. Shape and fit look right on and the WTF finish gives it a warm look. Job well done.

Ray

OZturner

Great Pen Dan,
Fantastic Segmentation, Superb choice of materials.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
I don't know if I am seeing, some staining on the end grain at the Postable End Fitting, or is it just shadow, or natural timber colour, It is so faint but could be from the bushes during sanding?
A Marvelous Pen,
Congratulations,
Brian.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks everyone for the nice comments, I was careful in sanding on tis one and wiped the blank down with DNA after every few girts and before finishing. Brain I think it a shadow as I don't see it on the pen. Mike I would be happy to teach you any time. I don't think I would be at the level I am now with out your help at the start.

Hendu3270

Very nice pen Dan. I like the contrast. I've done several pens with segmenting like this and the trick I use to ensure the end segments are of equal width is this. I rough turn the full blank from the main material. Then using a parting tool, remove the same amount of material on each end down to the tube, slide on and glue whatever spacer you plan on using, then slide and glue on the other segments, (that you've previously prepped). The gluing is done off the lathe and I clamp it all together with light pressure. Then you have to trim the new ends and turn it all down. It's a little more effort but not too much. Obviously this doesn't work on more complex segmented blank.

Top Bottom