Jr Gent Cholla

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

I think this is a nice fit for the cholla - clean and simple hardware.

Attachments

• UnderwoodPens-8639.jpg
    UnderwoodPens-8639.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 279
  • UnderwoodPens-8637.jpg
    UnderwoodPens-8637.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 279
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I agree and I really like how the natural cholla and red work so well together. I don't think I would have put those two together until now. Nice!

budnder

Thanks.

As I recall, I was inspired by this pen (link). It's interesting as the cholla in that pic looks quite different than the stuff I am using.

I had a cholla "bleed out" in the pressure pot and ended up with a short blank, so tried my hand also at throwing some turquoise into the picture with this pen.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks.

As I recall, I was inspired by this pen (link). It's interesting as the cholla in that pic looks quite different than the stuff I am using.

I had a cholla "bleed out" in the pressure pot and ended up with a short blank, so tried my hand also at throwing some turquoise into the picture with this pen.

I just followed your link, and although I had seen those before, it was very nice to go through the pictures again! Very nice inspiration! Thank you for the reminder.

There are several pens displayed that I greatly admire the craftsmanshp.

Thanks!

TonyL

Beautiful all-around! Do you mind telling me/us where you obtained the blank? Thank you.

budnder

Regarding the blank...

Our place in Tucson is on a couple of acres and I just walked (carefully - there be lots of sharp things and snakes in these parts) around looking for dead cholla. There's a lot of cholla around. Some had been dead long enough they had collapsed to the ground - others were still upright, but denuded of any skin/thorns. I was looking for stuff that was relatively straight, in the "sweet" spot of thickness (3/4") and with a center hole that wasn't too off center. By center hole, I mean the hollow bit down the middle. On some cholla arms, that hollow bit can be way off center, which doesn't leave you enough thickness on one side of the blank.

Some I cleaned by blowing air, some I cleaned by washing out (and then oven drying). To fill them, I wrapped them up in green tape, leaving an inch or so extra at the top to form a reservoir. Poured the Allumilite in slowly, and had to wait and repour a time or two as it takes a little time for it to settle down into the blank. I filled it over the top and into the reservoir so there would be some extra to fill in the air bubbles that the pressure would force out. I think I got this technique from a post by Exotic Ed. All this went into the pressure pot at about 30psi, and I just let it sit there all night.

Nothing to special about turning them other than to make sure you center on the hollow part of the cholla. More often than not I have to do a little CA fill here or there, but nothing thats too much of a bother.

Top Bottom