Jr Gent with Brooks Blank and Unplanned Customization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

Requested some special color combo blanks from Jonathan to make a gift for a good friend who runs a business that uses these as their design colors.

I used a black ti jr gent fountain kit that I had bought in a lot from someone here awhile back.

When I opened the bag it was missing a couple little parts and had a couple duplicate parts - not sure why.

Fortunately, what was missing wasn't anything I couldn't work around. The trim ring for the bottom of the cap was missing so I just left both rings off. More of a minimalist look for that area but I'm happy with it.

It was also missing the finial insert. I've not done a custom finial before, and someone here always tells me I should. So, today was the day. Bit by choice, but I'm pleased with it.

Attachments

• image-572227016.jpg
    image-572227016.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 331
  • image-3615247099.jpg
    image-3615247099.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 252
  • image-2283094326.jpg
    image-2283094326.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 208
  • image-618616395.jpg
    image-618616395.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 277
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

The trim ring for the bottom of the cap was missing so I just left both rings off. More of a minimalist look for that area but I'm happy with it.

It was also missing the finial insert. I've not done a custom finial before, and someone here always tells me I should. So, today was the day. Bit by choice, but I'm pleased with it.

That custom finial looks great. Now on to custom trim rings...:rolleyes:

ironman123

Dan, that looks pretty dog gone good to me (that means you did good).
If it was being sold, that Unplanned Customization should cost more.

Very nice looking pen.

Ray

Dan Masshardt

Thanks all. I think I'm going to make another style and then decide which one to give him and sell the other.

The finial was pretty easy to make actually. I don't know why I thought it would involve more effort.

Dan Masshardt

That's a beauty! Can you explain how you did the finial? That is a real custom touch! Steve

Steve - pretty easy. Chuck up piece of blank in pin jaws. I cut off the piece for one tube and then marked on the remaining blank how much I needed for the second tube so I knew how much I had to play with but still had plenty if meat to chuck up.

Then I simply trued and turned the end down to size using the finial cap piece to check size as I went. When you hit size, polish and part off.

Probably not necessary, but I did size a little tenon nub to fit in the hole in the finial cap to orient and glue it in. As long as it's smaller not bigger you should be okay.

I actually sized that by finding a transfer punch the correct size and then using my calipers to measure it and then the little tenon on the peice.

flyitfast

Dan, thanks for explaining the finial process. It cleared up a couple of things I had wondered about.
Great looking pen - you did well with Brooks blank. Good choice of hardware too.
gordon

Top Bottom