Jr. Emporer Tzu-t’an in Rhodium/Black Titanium

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YORKGUM

YORKGUM

Pictured is a new pen turned by Richard Martin. The wood is Tzu-t'an purchased from Mr. Rarest Wood. It's an awesome pen but is difficult to take photos of due to the shade of the wood. But I wanted to post it.

Enjoy.
my_tzutan_pen.jpgmy_tzutan_pen2.jpgmy_tzutan_pen3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

beautiful. I've seen that wood mentioned before. What makes it so rare and special (other than it being pretty.)

altaciii

Real nice pen. I like the choice of hardware concidering the wood. I have found a lot od difficulty in posing dark woods to show also.

Interesting article Roy. Thanks for the link.

Rarest wood

beautiful. I've seen that wood mentioned before. What makes it so rare and special (other than it being pretty.)

Precious, Rare, beautiful, works exceptionaly well, rewards the those who work in it with its distinct aroma hard heavy with finegrained figure chatoyent. has a wonderfull taptone. This is the most noble of timbers.

This timber has a real history king Solomon was given logs of this timber by the Queen of Sheba, Solomon used the logs in the building of the temple in Israel and for making musical instruments. The Chinese imperial court wrote and edict which made the use of Tzutan only for the emperors pleasure. I have a selection of pens in Huanghuali, rosewood burl, other rosewoods and one of tzutan when I have asked which one do my freinds prefure invariably they choose the tzutan pen I ask why and they say things like

"it is a class above the rest there is so much depth and richness to the grain and I have never seen wood like that before it almost like polished jade"

Of course photos never pick this detail up its only when you have a tzutan pen in your hand do you start becoming beguiled by it. it is also the most truly rare timbers in the world worthy of the term "precious wood"

I am making another pen in it soon just thinking about spending time with this timber makes me feel good knowing that very few craftsmen will have the oppertunity to make things in this exceptionall wood.

Top Bottom