Jr. Emperor FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Crickett

Crickett

I'm ready for some honest feedback on this pen. Please critique it.
Does the burl go well with the kit or should I have chosen a less ornate one??

It is a Jr. Emperor in Acacia burl.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC02210.JPG
    DSC02210.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 470
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim15

Great looking pen. Most of the time I like a plain blank with that ornate a kit but I think the gold compliments that blank very nicely.

ldb2000

Beautiful pen Crickett .
There really is nothing to "Critique" you have a great fit and finish and the blank is interesting without over powering the kit .
The only critique that will matter in the end is "Did it sell" or was the recipient happy with it .

Nice photo by the way .

maxman400

I like it very much, The gold in the kit brings out the light wood and contrast against the dark at the same time. Together they say classy and expensive. Great Photo too.

Jon-wx5nco

Here is my critique... "I'd buy that pen in a heart beat!"
Beautiful work. You did good on that pen

jskeen

I think that some burls do look a little overwhelming with all the gingerbread on those kits, however this particular one works very well. The contrast between the light and dark wood mimics the gold/platinum plating on the kit and then the grain and eyes give it even more depth. Can't tell from the pic, but I'll assume that the grain patterns match across the centerband in one of the 3 thread positions. Fit and finish look excellent. You have lined the nib up so that the contrasting area of the wood is up in writing position, and with a non posting kit, there's no issue with the clip location, so all in all, I'd say that is a very well thought out pen, and should be very marketable. Good Job!

avbill

Marla,
The above turners feel the blank and the kit go well together. Yet you needed to ask the question. Let me ask the one thousand dollar question. Why do you feel the kit and the burl do not go together?

Whaler

Marla, it is beautiful the kit and blank were made for each other. The Jr Emperor has always been my favorite kit, I have 3 of them stashed just waiting for the right burl blanks.

penmanship

Marla ~ to give you a most accurate & fair "critique" it would be best to have the pen "inhand" Do you still have my postal address? I will post my evaluation as soon as I get it......:biggrin:

barring that ~ WOW, great looking wood & the finish looks flawless...nice

Tim
I'm ready for some honest feedback on this pen. Please critique it.
Does the burl go well with the kit or should I have chosen a less ornate one??

It is a Jr. Emperor in Acacia burl.

attachment.php

arioux

The only critique i can give is don't post a pen for critques when it's flawless :)

Great pen. Just enough gold in the hardware to match the wood without taking all the place. This keep the focus on the wood wich is parfect. IMO.

Crickett

Thank-you to all who replied, you're all too kind.

Can't tell from the pic, but I'll assume that the grain patterns match across the centerband in one of the 3 thread positions. Fit and finish look excellent. You have lined the nib up so that the contrasting area of the wood is up in writing position, and with a non posting kit, there's no issue with the clip location, so all in all, I'd say that is a very well thought out pen, and should be very marketable. Good Job!

Yes, the grain does match, I make sure it does with all my two-part kits. To be completely honest with you the nib position was just a fluke but your comment gives me something to watch for the next time I make a pen using the burl. I have a show at the end of October so it'll be for sale and hopefully sold by the end of the three days.

Marla,
The above turners feel the blank and the kit go well together. Yet you needed to ask the question. Let me ask the one thousand dollar question. Why do you feel the kit and the burl do not go together?

Normally with a kit like this I would choose a plain wood and with a burl I would use a kit like a Jr. Gent so I wasn't too sure on this particular combination.

Marla ~ to give you a most accurate & fair "critique" it would be best to have the pen "inhand" Do you still have my postal address? I will post my evaluation as soon as I get it......:biggrin:

barring that ~ WOW, great looking wood & the finish looks flawless...nice

Tim

As a matter of fact I should have it around here someplace ... watch for it in the mail!! :wink:

PaulDoug

The only thing I don't care fore is the kit. That is a personal preference thought and doesn't mean right or wrong. I just happen to like the less glitzy kit. That is a beautiful piece of wood and as far as I can tell you did a great job on the fit and finish.

phillywood

Marla, beautiful pen. there is nothing to critique about.
You think on the same line that I do trying to match the wood with the kit so neither will overwhelm the other. and, you did an excellent job on that.

Top Bottom