Joyous Barrel Decoration with Alcohol-based inks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Alcohol-based inks are dear to my heart. They also take nicely to metals and other non-porous surfaces.

I call these pens Holiday Inkies; and they come together well with Jimmy Durante's immortal Inka Dinka Doo in the background:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YCOIMkvFt8

I was "upgrading" some holiday tree ornaments when a little light bulb went off in my head (not as momentous as Edison's tungsten filament + bulb + vacuum + current, but a lot of fun and variety); steps:

Clean brass or nickel or white-enameled pen tubes with acetone.
I set up a pair of pen tubes on the reversibly-rotatable Penn State slow dry blank drying system, but any of these techniques can work without it.
Assemble some alcohol-based inks - I use bottles of Jacquard Pinata ink and Ranger Adirondack ink in combination with Blick alcohol-based markers.
The inks go through some amazing color shifts as they blend; and they dry quickly.
A butane torch causes some nice color shifts, particularly in the red end of the color spectrum.
I've wrapped the tubes of one of the below-pictured pens in 26 ga. black jewelry wire for a faux-stained glass look.
Clear 3" wide packing tape makes a great "canvas" for the inks - and you can wrap it around the tube until you are happy with the overlapping design.
Seal the artwork with brushed-on Judikins Diamond Glaze (all of these things are available from amazon.com or Dick Blick or Jerry's Artarama)
Let the sealant cure x 24 hours
Cast tube-in with PR (I use Douglas and Sturgess Clear Casting Resin)
Turn and finish as usual:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Happy Monday, and best regards to all - Bob

Attachments

• InkiesTechniques,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    InkiesTechniques,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 800
  • InkiesTechniques,penfamily,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    InkiesTechniques,penfamily,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 901
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DigBaddy72

I wonder if this process would work for "painting" the tubes before gluing into a clear blank?

What I mean is, I have a blank that is mostly clear resin with some layers of blue within it. If I drill it, you would be able to see the tube. This may add a layer of color....will have to see how the alcohol based ink reacts to CA.

Great job on these Bob. You are one of the masters on this forum that seem to push the limits of pen turning...thank you.

Skie_M

Absolutely gorgeous cacophony of color!

Suggesting a further upgrade .... go as usual to create a background pattern, then cut a thin strip of your "canvas" to wrap around in a spiral pattern over top! (though it looks like you may have done something like that to the center one in red)

bpgoldo

Bob, what a terrific share this is. You blow down the walls of convention and open up vistas of ideas. You certainly made me stop and think. thanks for the thinks.

KenV

I surrender

I cannot discern the one with the wire/stained glass effect.

Love the vibrant colors and interplay. They bring a smile out just looking at them.

Bob in SF

Humble heartfelt thanks to all - always glad to share these little excursions.

Keith K. - Probably best to seal the inks with Judikins Diamond Glaze (as above) before CA-gluing the drilled blank onto the tube. BUT you might also mess around with a "sacrificial" tube, inks, CA, loss-worthy blank and see what happens - and be sure to dry the inks well (I use a heat gun to speed things along).

Gregory - Fine suggestion and coincidence - I'm working on some ink-painted packing tape strip onlays this week and will keep you posted.

PS: $15.00 gets 6 rolls of 3" wide Duck packing tape on amazon.com = 11,793.6 inches of alcohol ink "canvas" - should last a while...
attachment.php

- Bob

Attachments

• AlcoholInkedPackingTape,markison,2016.jpg
    AlcoholInkedPackingTape,markison,2016.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

PenPal

Bob whenever I see your entries I give them attention, every now and then you show evidences of the incredible techiques with colour.

Not just colour this time but mind bursting pens.

Thankyou Peter.

lhowell

Bob - these are stunning!! Always enjoy seeing the work you post on here! Also appreciate that you share the general idea of how have made such stunning pieces as well!

Bob in SF

Thanks kindly, Harry!

Always a pleasure to share techniques.

This will be another weekend of alcohol ink experiments - and glad to keep you posted.

Alcohol ink addiction may be risky without a twelve step program in sight.

Best regards, Bob

Top Bottom