John's Fantastic feathers, afzelia burl and snakewood! Looky HQ pics! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hello guys,

Here is my latest pens.

I have to confess I am slowly losing my motivation, I am rarely totally satisfied with my pens, thing is, they are really fine as a whole but for some reason I cannot stop being bugged by the really tiny details.

All my customers are praising my work but it seems I am not enjoying the wood as much I used before. (it's the main reason I got into turning pens) I am being focused on the execution. I ordered some single pen kits and I think I will stick to those for a little while.

It is tiresome. I have reached the point where I am sick of making a CA glue finish, drilling/facing the blanks before turning them. Oh and when you finished your pen and you remove the tubes from the lathe and the CA glue breaks from the bushing and the tubes and damage your finish...makes me nuts!

But on a positive side, I turned John's Fantastic Feathers those are awesome, turn like a charm, finish like a charm!! :)

So what you guys think? Oh and if any of you made Aero kits is there any sleeve available for cleaning the ends of the blanks, I would like one made of metal instead of turning a sleeve myself!

Charles

Sorry but I don't remember the bird for this pen, looks like penguins at the junction of the top cap and pen tip. :)

Classy bird here, still have no idea what this one is. Everything is symmetric here! :)

Afzelia burl in darker shades!

Ahhh the snakewood, a long love and hate relation between me and that wood. When it decides to let itself drilled and it is not cracking it's a wonderful wood to turn, so dense, a pleasure with really sharp tools.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Beautiful pens Charles! I like the Afzelia the best. Great shape and finish on them all. The first feather pen is an Amherst pheasant and the second is a Ringneck pheasant. Nice work!

Tanner

You're the one that snuck in and got that red, white and black feather blank at Exotics. I had it in my cart but looked around before checking out and by the time I checked out, I got the dreaded message saying it was no longer there. You did it proud! Good job! All great looking pens!

CharlesH

I am not the one, thanks for the kind words tho!!! :)

Charles

You're the one that snuck in and got that red, white and black feather blank at Exotics. I had it in my cart but looked around before checking out and by the time I checked out, I got the dreaded message saying it was no longer there. You did it proud! Good job! All great looking pens!

1080Wayne

Tiny details ... Repeat after me `If my customer can see a defect in my product , I didn`t spend enough time on it . If I can`t see a defect in my product I spent too much time on it !`

Super finish on the feathers and the snakewood by the way . The CA breaking off with the bushing is only just barely evident on the snakewood . My preferred solution is to sand the barrel shorter , but that is only practical if the barrel end is essentially parallel to the bushing .

Looking forward to seeing more of your excellent work .

Top Bottom