Johnnie Jarheaded

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mather323

Mather323

During one of our pen swaps my partner was Johnnie. He sent me a box of blanks and in that box along with the wood blanks, there was some red white and blue corian. I had no idea what to do with them until my good friend Jim said, "why don't you make a red white and blue pen. So I did. I am an Assistant Boy Scout Master and I decided to give the pen to our Sr. Patrol Leader at the time. I told Johnnie what I did and he told me that was a great thing that I had done for the scouts and he wished he was in a troop like ours when he was a scout. One week later I received a box filled with red white and blue corian with a note in it saying there are for your scouts. Since that time every Sr Patrol Leader in our troop had received a red white and blue pen because of the generosity Johnnie Jarhead! You will be missed. The picture is of the pens given to every Sr. Patrol Leader thanks to Jonnie!

Semper Fi Johnnie Semper Fi

Thanks from the Boy Scout Troop 211 in Cour d'alene ID

Michael Conway

Attachments

• DSC_3359.JPG
    DSC_3359.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Well done Mike! I remember elody used to toss in a combo just like that with her corian packs. I miss them both, although I'm sure Elody is still around somewhere, but last I heard she had a baby and that's keeping her out of the loop.

Daniel

Nice story about Johnnie, It si the way I remember him also. My Summer with Johnnies started with the walnut group buy. Johnnie bought into it (120+ dollars) even though he was allergic to walnut. He jsut wanted to see everyone else have the chance to get some nice wood. When it came time to send him his wood He told me to just send him a nice chunk and sell the rest to all of the turners. By the way neil he really wanted that chunk so you would have something to play on the new band saw with.
Eventually I did manage to sell enough of his wood to pay the postage and some on his piece. He told me to just mail the wood and keep the rest. In the end he had one not so very big piece of wood that really cost him over $120. He was daily coming up with littel side ideas. He wanted all the waste wood so that he could cast it and offer it at nearly nothing to all of you or donate it to fundraising. He took his turn for the worse before I could get it to him. Honestly my impression of Johnnie was he was a fountain of giving. sprinkling out faster than you could pour in. Always pleasant and friendly, even more inportant to me was he was always incouraging. I will miss his e-mails urging me on when things got tough. he sort of was my leaning post during the walnut buy and checked on me as often as he could in other buys I have done this summer. when he thought people where bad mouthing or baiting me he sent many notes of incouragment and support. often giving me suggestion on how to, or not to respond. He was the truest of friends. His passing is a great loss for us a great gain for heaven.

jttheclockman

That is a perfect combination for that blank and kit. You did it proud and the story even is better. I did not get to know this person for I am sort of new here but from what I have read I wish I had and in some ways I guess I do. People like that touch so many along their short journey on this earth and they stay with us forever. May he rest in peace and his memory live on forever.

Top Bottom