Joe's Pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandsini

Sandsini

Some of you may have noticed that I primarily work in resins, it's what I enjoy doing, but I am also interested in woods that have character. I have done Snakewood, Curly Koa, Curly Mango, etc., and a couple of Joe Schneider's segmented blanks as well. A while back I received a couple of Joe's Norfolk Island Pine blanks and loved the knots and spalting enough to try them out. Here is the result. I think the color of the wood complements the Gentleman's Fountain Pen very well, but I would love to know what you think.

Attachments

• DSC00728.jpg
    DSC00728.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC00725.jpg
    DSC00725.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00724.jpg
    DSC00724.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC00729.jpg
    DSC00729.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 143
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

Never thought about using pine, you did a nice job. Have you tried any of the Colorado beetle-killed pine? The bugs give the normally yellowish pine a blue tinted color, really looks great.

Sandsini

Tom,
No, I'm not familiar with that one. I may have to look it up, it sounds very intriguing. It's the blue/gray spalting in the NIP that I really like. Well, that and the knots!

Never thought about using pine, you did a nice job. Have you tried any of the Colorado beetle-killed pine? The bugs give the normally yellowish pine a blue tinted color, really looks great.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very Beautiful! You did the blanks justice. (Confession: I love Joe's blanks). I have not gotten some of these...yet :tongue:!

Nice!

robutacion

Some of you may have noticed that I primarily work in resins, it's what I enjoy doing, but I am also interested in woods that have character. I have done Snakewood, Curly Koa, Curly Mango, etc., and a couple of Joe Schneider's segmented blanks as well. A while back I received a couple of Joe's Norfolk Island Pine blanks and loved the knots and spalting enough to try them out. Here is the result. I think the color of the wood complements the Gentleman's Fountain Pen very well, but I would love to know what you think.

Well, you may not be aware of my appreciation for many of the Pine species and the fact that, I keep reminding folks that, one can do a magnificent piece out of Pine.

Of course, there are Pines and Pines, some have a lot less character than others, like so many other wood species.

I also tend to let the Pine spalt before I turn it, Norfolk Pine is well know as one of the species that spalts the fastest and the prettiest, the knots formation are also unique and quite pretty. Sap or resin, can be a problem if the wood is not treated well before use, Pine sap/resin can be easily neutralized by "roasting" the wood for a few hours, the use of foil paper helps to prevent burn marks in the wood, if the wood is too close with the heating elements but, high temperature will crystallize the liquid sap into a solid crystal that won't affect the finishes so, keep that in mind for when working with pine woods...!

I'm very pleased to see someone of your "calibre" to actually take the time to make a pen with Pine, once again you showed your ability and craftsmanship, congrats...!

Cheers
George

Sandsini

Well, you may not be aware of my appreciation for many of the Pine species and the fact that, I keep reminding folks that, one can do a magnificent piece out of Pine.

Of course, there are Pines and Pines, some have a lot less character than others, like so many other wood species.

I also tend to let the Pine spalt before I turn it, Norfolk Pine is well know as one of the species that spalts the fastest and the prettiest, the knots formation are also unique and quite pretty. Sap or resin, can be a problem if the wood is not treated well before use, Pine sap/resin can be easily neutralized by "roasting" the wood for a few hours, the use of foil paper helps to prevent burn marks in the wood, if the wood is too close with the heating elements but, high temperature will crystallize the liquid sap into a solid crystal that won't affect the finishes so, keep that in mind for when working with pine woods...!

I'm very pleased to see someone of your "calibre" to actually take the time to make a pen with Pine, once again you showed your ability and craftsmanship, congrats...!

Cheers
George

George,
Thank you. I am quite flattered by you generous comment. When Joe sent me photos of the blanks I was hooked immediately and really wanted to work with them. I was very pleased with the finished product, but thought it might be a hard sell in my online shop. Imagine my surprise when the Facebook photos I posted received a bunch of likes immediately. Apparently the appeal is more broad than I imagined.

Cheers,

SDB777

That knot is a winner! Very cool!!

You know everyone just ran to their wood pine to look for a piece of pine with a knot in it....right?

Scott (I'm gonna) B

Skie_M

I like working with knotty American Walnut as well as Eastern Red Cedar.... The smells of Cedar and Bethlehem Olivewood are both nice! :)

robutacion

That knot is a winner! Very cool!!

You know everyone just ran to their wood pine to look for a piece of pine with a knot in it....right?

Scott (I'm gonna) B

Hahahah, yes Scott, a pretty Pine knot can look amazingly good so, I'm showing you a couple of pine knots I worked with in the past...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 101_0044.jpg
    101_0044.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 101_1782.JPG
    101_1782.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 152
  • 101_0025_(1).jpg
    101_0025_(1).jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 159