A Joe Schneider Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Bought this a few months ago and needed to practice my skew skills... In my opinion... Joe's blanks are 1) Too purty to turn... 2) Too scary to turn... or 3) I really want to turn, but can I...

So, this was my first attempt... (THIS one was way simple; you'll need to investigate to see the others I am talking about).

NICE BLANK JOE (wood128)!!!

This blank fit in well for a cigar with the Celtic Cross on top and the basic blank on bottom. (It has already grown legs and is long gone...).

Self-critique... The upper blank, middle band needed a bit more timber...

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

The good news... (I have more of Joe's blanks...).

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice pen !! Joe makes nice blanks with those multiple Celtic knots.

BTW ... how do you get your pictures to pop out like these ones do ?

wood128

Mark, when you get to be a famous pen maker, will you kindly remember me as one of your teachers ? I think this pen is a beauty and suitable for the IAP COLLECTION !!!!! Anyone agree ? OH WELL !!!! Take care and HAPPY EASTER to all .

Joe

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, when you get to be a famous pen maker, will you kindly remember me as one of your teachers ? I think this pen is a beauty and suitable for the IAP COLLECTION !!!!! Anyone agree ? OH WELL !!!! Take care and HAPPY EASTER to all .

Joe

Thanks Obi Wan! I'm just trying out my sea legs, for your blanks... The layout for this one was easy. Other than a few nit picks, I liked the product, and my daughter claimed it as the finish was setting.

It turned like a champ, and the knots are pretty tight! Now if some of that magic dust from your blank gets rubbed into my attempt... This will be fun.

Yes, Happy Easter!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice pen !! Joe makes nice blanks with those multiple Celtic knots.

BTW ... how do you get your pictures to pop out like these ones do ?

Fairy Dust!!!

Oh... if you upload your pictures into your IAP Member Photo Album; then when making a thread/post, click in the box on the right side of the screen: "My Photos", Insert, and just click on the photo(s) from your album. It should appear in your post.

Hope that is as clear as mud...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Joe

Joe... When I get to be a "famous pen maker"... I won't have any memory...

But my cats love me!!! :cat::cat::cat:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well... I don't actually have cats... they have me! :eek:

Coco (Grey) was for my daughter; Phantom (White) was for my wife... Therefore, they follow me around all day and supervise in the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0265_2.jpg
    IMG_0265_2.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 130

Brian G

Excellent pen, Mark. You can probably guess that I'm a fan of celtic knots on upper barrels of cigar pens.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I use a "120-grit scraper" after my skew takes me down to where all of the intersections of the knot show. I'll work the blank round straight across to that point, and then shape from the middle to proud of the bushings. Pride may goeth before a fall, but it also goeth kablooey with an innocent catch on an intricate blank. :wink:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks Brian!

Joe is giving me pointers on these. I've just about got my jigs working consistently. My last one (have not taken pictures yet) is pretty even with all the rings.

This turned fine! I did coat with CA 3x during the turning, but There was no chip-outs and I am encouraged. I have a bunch of Joe's blanks, and I mean it as a compliment when I say they are too pretty to turn and looks plain scary! There is a lot of work in them, and I wanted to get better tool control before trying to turn them.

Have Fun!

Top Bottom