Jes a lil 'speriment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Satin Nickel Baron RB done in denim (not cast in PR). CA finish followed by a good overall coat of Ren Wax.

200631544917_BaronSN_denimRB.jpg

No comments necessary, but feel free to critique it if you wish.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Interesting shape Billy. Finish looks great! In light of recent events, I won't ask from whose jeans this mimento was taken.

BigRob777

Billy,
Nice "'speriment", but I prefer wintergreen.[:eek:)] Seriously, I think that's a cool pen. It reminds me of my teen years, with the fringed cut-offs. Now when are you going to try one from your leather jacket? I guess that's sort of been done already though. I'm amazed at the shape. Very nice.
Rob

arioux

Hi,

I suspect that the denim was put over a turned piece of wood. What i would like to see is how do you manage the overlaping of the denim.

Great pen by the way and [8D] blinding finish

Alfred

alamocdc

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Looks like a very successful experiment. I like the shape. Was the denim shaped like that before you added the CA?
No, Gerry, I turned it to that shape. I've been using that shape for most of my Barons and Gents since I started turning them. I've never been much of a B2B turner.

alamocdc

Originally posted by arioux
<br />Hi,

I suspect that the denim was put over a turned piece of wood. What i would like to see is how do you manage the overlaping of the denim.

Great pen by the way and [8D] blinding finish

Alfred
Sorry, Alfred, wrong assumption. It's all denim and CA... almost an entire 2 oz bottle, in fact. BTW, It wasn't wrapped around a tube either. [;)]

alamocdc

Alfred, I didn't mean that to sound snappy and I apologize if it did. The overlapping material is not a problem. In fact, it's what gives it the look it has. I'm not the first to use this technique. I've done 4 pens using fabric and only 2 of them have been sellable. In fact, 1 of the "failures" got turned off the tubes and I remade the pen using something else entirely. I also did a black denim that I carry because it doesn't show the effect of this one. Too much dye in the material so I didn't get the black & white, just mostly black and the white that is there tends to be splotchy bunches. It's all trial and error, but that's one of the things I enjoy.

mick

Billy that's one fantastic pen! I've played with that shape some on Barons's I've made but never been completely satisified. Seems like you've perfected it though! If you didn't wrap the denim on the tube ...or didn't cast it, I'm lost. Would you consider a tutorial on this pen? I'd be very interested in the process, if you wouldn't mind sharing that is!

alamocdc

Mike, I usually wrap the material on the tube. This time I thought I'd try something different to see if I could get a different effect. Used too much CA so I won't do that again.

mick

Billy, you're an evil man.....lol. I've been down in the shop ALL evening. My fingers are covered with several layers of CA glue and my eyes are watering enough to plant a garden!....But I've got an upper blank of a DENIM Cigar pen made! [:D] Tomorrow the lower barrel is mine. [;)]
Now I just gotta order a Copper kit from Ernie at Beartooth!

mick

Billy what kind of gloves have you found that the CA won't stick to? I "borrowed" some plain old latex gloves from work and they stick better than the denim does....[:D]

alamocdc

Mike, I didn't say CA wouldn't stick to the gloves, I just said I use them to keep the CA off ME. [:D] I get a box of latex gloves from my local Kroger pharmacy for ~ $3. Every now and then I'll do something quick w/o putting at least one on and about half the time I have to call LOML to the shop the apply acetone b/c I've glued a finger or two to a blank and sometimes each other. [B)][:0]

Charles

To second above response, Would you mind doing a tutorial. I have done some casting but can't picture how you did this.
Very well done I should say. Looks very impressive with the shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom