Jeff's Reject

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

So awhile back Jeff (workingforwood) had some scroll sawn blanks for sale here. Well I got a couple and decided I would take the "reject" of the group. Personally I think it came out well. The kit is a Jr. Retro with a replaced finial and shaved CB. Comments welcome.

retrodragon1sm.jpg
retrodragon2sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Thanks Bob. This was my first time with his wood and alumalite. And my first time shaving a Retro's CB. That was fun :)

hewunch

1/2" beall chuck and a couple of wraps of painters tape. Made sure to attack the top silver band first and the black one slid right off.

hewunch

Jeff, it was the one that you said had some color bleed. And you can see that around the dragon a little. Do you know what caused that? If I were to do some scroll saw stuff and then add alumilite, how would I keep that from happening? Thx! I really do like it, because it makes the dragon look hotter.

workinforwood

Jeff, it was the one that you said had some color bleed. And you can see that around the dragon a little. Do you know what caused that? If I were to do some scroll saw stuff and then add alumilite, how would I keep that from happening? Thx! I really do like it, because it makes the dragon look hotter.

It's the inlace Dye, which I will no longer use. It's not supposed to bleed, but always does. Pre-colored inlace does not bleed. PR, that can do the same thing. Don't quote me as an expert of any type, I'm only going on experience, but I have troubles with inlace and/or PR products using paint or concentrated liquid dye's where they bleed, but never have those problems using the same color prducts, but alumilite as the resin. I believe the difference is that the Alumilite chemically bonds with the paint, and polyester or acrylester does not. I think if you mix paint with PR, it just becomes a thin coating swirled into the mix. If I use a powder dye with inlace, then it works perfect every time with no bleeding. Heck..I've made and had people here that sent me PR blanks that are sticky. Some of the people are considered experts by us, but the blanks are sticky and when I touch them the color goes on my hands. They turn and shine up just fine though. I believe it's all related to the coloring agent and it's relationship to the resin. Does that make sense to anyone? :biggrin:

Top Bottom