Jeff Powell's Flaming Pine Cone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it early this A.M. It's Jeff Powell's "Flame" version of his Pine Cone blank series from Exotic Blanks. I saw Tim Wise's Pine cone pen..Really liked it !! and wanted to to try a different version. Turned fairly easily with sharp carbide tools. Only had a few minor voids to fill. Sanded down and then finished with 2 coats of thin CA and 6 coats of medium CA. Then MM, wet, to 12000 followed by HUT Plastic Polish. On a Majestic Junior Rhodium and Black T/N Rollerball. Tim's daughter is right on target....It really does look like dragon scales. Also looks a pine cone that's on fire! Comments welcome and thanks for looking! Doc:)

Attachments

• Flame PineCone_2.jpg
    Flame PineCone_2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 323
  • Flame PineCone_1.jpg
    Flame PineCone_1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Flame PineCone.jpg
    Flame PineCone.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 263
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, I try not to swap compliments or comments when I just post a pic, but I have to admit that that is pretty cool.....err, I mean hot!!!:biggrin:

It appears that the cone in each half is perfectly centred in the blank so that the 'scales' would be even around the pen? Nice attention to detail Jeff:wink:

wizard

Nice looking pen!!!
Where do you fine pine cone this size?

Louie, I'm not sure. It's Jeff Powell's blank and I'm hoping he'll jump in and tell us. The pine cones that I'm used to in Texas are a little big to come out with a pattern like that. With this blank, I wasn't sure what I was going to end up with as a finished product. Just stopped turning when I thought it looked
good. Regards, Doc

workinforwood

Looks most excellent Doc! Pine cones are not centered, although this pen might be. They come in all sorts of shapes and are never truly straight and not worth trying to trim square and centered with the core. They are just trimmed to fit in the mold and you drill it wherever you want and it comes out however it is..some times you end up seeing part of the core down one side, which will then make a pen that looks like a busted back bone..really neat. This pen is two pine cones. They are stuffed in a mold, each cone the tips face each other in the middle of the blank, so the middle is the scrap and you build your pen out from the ends. This way you get a tight cluster on one end and the leaves get further and further apart on the opposite end of the pen section. I see the cone inventory is really getting down there..not to worry, I'll get some re-stocked soon. I have a few larger cones to try as well..they are the same as these cones, but 5"+ long, so they will provide a blank that flows the same direction all the way across. Should be neat.

wiset1

True quality is evident when turning these blanks from Jeff and you just can't go wrong with his line of blanks. I'm honored that my pen was able to inspire an artist such as yourself to try something new. And while I hope to one day have a little girl, my "SON" still thinks they look like dragon scales, ha ha ha. Honest mistake Doc

Pen looks awesome!

PenPal

Doc,
Your pen in a word Medieval something you would carry into battle as a Talisman, a pen fit for a Knight, made in the morning with Jeffs Alchemy displayed in full view of the whole world.

The splendour of Autumn Bursting at its height. The display of brilliant yellows through the reds, I can understand completely when you say you turn down until you see the finish line and design, so many times we turn in and out of grain and colour seeing from masterpiece to failure or the complete reverse. I this case with a cast pen on the tips of your nerve so as not to cut through.

I expect soon another shipment of totally Australian timber for my small parcel to you with names like Dead Finish, Kimberly Beef Wood, Neverbreak,Cassowary Plum,Rosemararie,Blackheart Sassafras, Tiger Stripe Myrtle, Red Lancewood, Blackwood Fiddleback and40 more to choose from for you it will be a small 500 gram parcel the Australian Govt has poked a nearly 10 dollar surcharge on top for parcels over this amount. Two more weeks in that time my 2nd group arrives.

I get so excited when I see beautiful timber from all around our country. Want to share some of that with you and how you treat it.

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom