Jeff Powell Inspired

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from papaturner

papaturner

First and foremost I want to Salute and congratulate Jeff. I always admired his work but now with greater understanding after my feable attempt to do the gecko pen.

I used walnut and did not have the inlace so I used colored epoxy. The scroll sawing is an art and I`m not sure I have it. It takes quite a long time to complete(or at least it did me) and I`m not too pleased with the results. However I haven`t given up I have 2 more in the works.:biggrin:
Thanks for looking.

Jeff congrts on fine craftsmanship and the article I enjoyed both.

The close up is so you can see how really bad it is.:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 348
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I think the Gecko is looking half decent. He looks much better than the wood choice! When I cut them, it is not lickity split 10 seconds and it's done. Certainly with scrolling you have to have patience. Experience over time will help you with which blade to use and blade speeds. I always try and use the larges blade that will fit, and I cut at slow speeds, letting the saw do the work. People tend to believe you need to use the smallest saw blade possible, but I can prove that to be wrong every day of the week. The Gecko is far more challenging than a typical scrolling, as you now know Perry. The image is small, and you have very tight little places to get into leaving some fragile wood behind. I find myself using the front of the blade like a chisel a lot of times, so I can wear away material enough for a softer turn. Turn to hard and the wood between the body and the hand can break off. If you can make this, you can make anything. Well done Perry! It's really cool watching you guys make these!

Last edited:

WoodCarverOH

I agree with Jeff. Scroll Sawing is the hardest & time consuming of this task. Go slow and take your time.

The pen looks good. When I did mine I used a lighter wood (aspen) to high light the gecko. When doing the paw prints on lower barrel I used embossing powder (used in scrap booking) and CA to over fill and turn off.

I'm working on one with green gecko climbing up bark simulated barrel.

There are a lot of possibilities in combining scroll sawing and pen turning.

papaturner

Thanks Jeff and Eric for the tips.
I agree totally about the wood I used...........I have a ton of walnut blanks therefore I use them on any thing new I`m trying(I`m cheap like that):biggrin:

I do indeed take my time, actually it`s not choice I just have to take it easy.

Jeff, I like the info about the blade size, saw speed and the chisel method that`s gonna help a bunch.

Thanks for looking and the tips. Hard rock Maple blank is next.:biggrin:

Top Bottom