JB's Inferno -- Piston Filler with Ink Window

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robert111

Robert111

This blank was made by the blankmeister Jonathan Brooks. I call it JB's Inferno, for obvious reasons.

The piston filling mechanism comes from Richard Greenwald. It's recently been offered for sale and makes an excellent installation. The instructions are very good. The hard part of the project for me is recessing the ink window, but I know there are some who prefer that it not be hidden. I'll try that too.

Length capped 5 3/4" (147 mm)
Length uncapped 5 1/2" (140 mm)
Length posted 6 7/8" (175 mm)

Cap diameter 17 mm
Barrel diameter 14.3 (at widest point on exposed barrel when capped)
Section diameter 11.5 mm at nib end, 13.5 at ink window end

Weight 29 gm

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Inferno Piston Filler 030 (Small).JPG
    Inferno Piston Filler 030 (Small).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 495
  • Inferno Piston Filler 019 (Small).jpg
    Inferno Piston Filler 019 (Small).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 489
  • Inferno Piston Filler 018 (Small).JPG
    Inferno Piston Filler 018 (Small).JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 487
  • Inferno Piston Filler 032 (Small).JPG
    Inferno Piston Filler 032 (Small).JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 503
  • Inferno Piston Filler 021 (Small).JPG
    Inferno Piston Filler 021 (Small).JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 489
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tortoise

Just beautiful. I like the section near the nib with the indented ring. Are the section grip and black threads all one piece?

Brooks803

I LOVE IT! That's the first I've seen with that blank. I like the ink window hidden personally.

Personally I'm dying to see what you do with that opal blank (wink-wink-nudge-nudge:wink:)

BSea

I'm with Jonathon. The ink window should be hidden. That way if the ink does stain the window, at least it won't be obvious all the time. Great finish too. That section looks perfect.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice work on this one too Robert. I do like the sections that appear to be shorter than the Bock. Maybe it's my warn out eyes.:redface: Jonathon makes some nice blanks.

vanngo5d

Great looking pen and blank, it looks like it has a perfect balance. The cap is not overly extended to the total length of the pen. Great job.

Robert111

Perfect 10!

Thanks Derek!

Wow! I like how the ink window hides under the cap, great job!

Thanks (again) Joe!

Just beautiful. I like the section near the nib with the indented ring. Are the section grip and black threads all one piece?

Thanks Renee! That indented ring can be cut with a Woodchuck. Yep, the section grip and threads are one piece.

I like the way this blank flows. It is on fire at the very top and tapers down to the black bottom. Very nice.

Yes, me too. That Brooks guy is pretty clever.

Another beauty.

Thanks Jim!

I LOVE IT! That's the first I've seen with that blank. I like the ink window hidden personally.

Personally I'm dying to see what you do with that opal blank (wink-wink-nudge-nudge:wink:)

Thanks Jonathan! And I want to see that Serpentine blank on one of your pens!

Nice bright colors and great shape. Love it!

Thanks Dave!

I like the hidden ink window. Super job on it.

Thanks Joe! I figure a bulb filler or a piston filler are naturals for ink windows. From now on all of those I make will have windows.

I'm with Jonathon. The ink window should be hidden. That way if the ink does stain the window, at least it won't be obvious all the time. Great finish too. That section looks perfect.

Thanks Bob! Good point about the staining!

Robert111

Nice work on this one too Robert. I do like the sections that appear to be shorter than the Bock. Maybe it's my warn out eyes.:redface: Jonathon makes some nice blanks.

Thanks again Chuck! The grip is pretty short, so rest easy about your eyes. I think it's 3/4" and the indented ring makes it look shorter. It's actually easier to go short when you put the cap threads on the section instead of the barrel. You just have to find a way to keep the section from unscrewing with the cap.

Very nice work. Top 10, the color is perfect

Thanks Tom!

Great looking pen and blank, it looks like it has a perfect balance. The cap is not overly extended to the total length of the pen. Great job.

Thanks Don. I appreciate that comment. I don't think many people understand how difficult it is to achieve the balance you refer to while recessing the ink window and finding clearance for the nib way up inside the cap finial.

Top Bottom