Jasper Kit Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dcameraman

dcameraman

Here's my first two stone pens. I used Jasper for the material.

They are definitely not perfect. I need to work on getting the stone actually round, and not oblong,
and I need to make it so the the stone mates up to the pen evenly. Some joints are undersize,
some are oversize. Although you do have to look close to see it.

This represents years of an idea . . . and lots of time playing with diamonds.

I know, I know . . . they are heavy!
They are also one of a kind . . . and beautiful to look at . . . and so shiny!

Jr Gentlemen's II Postable Rollerball / Black Titanium
Total Weight: 72.4 grams
Body Weight: 42.6 grams
Cap Weight: 30 grams

Jr. Statesman II Postable Rollerball / Rhodium-Black Titanium
Total Weight: 70.7 grams
Body Weight: 40.7 grams
Cap Weight: 30 grams

Comments and Criticisms are welcome.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC06293.jpg
    DSC06293.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC06296.jpg
    DSC06296.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC06298.jpg
    DSC06298.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC06300.jpg
    DSC06300.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 251
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dcameraman

Curt,

Not done on a lathe. Handheld, spinning against grinding wheels. Not done quickly. Patience and a light touch.

jttheclockman

Wish the photos were a little lighter but I guess that is some hard material to work with. They do make Jasper tru-stone and wonder how close that looks to the real thing. Would it break if dropped??? Are you using diamond wheels??? Thanks for showing and good luck with your adventures.

Last edited:

dcameraman

John,

I suppose it depends on how high you are planning on dropping the pen from . . . incidentally, I have dropped them, not on purpose, once onto concrete and once onto gravel. No damage.

I am using diamond wheels.

I've got a better lens in the mail, and some other things to help with lighting. Just couldn't wait that long. Will try to take better pictures in the future. The pens demand it!

Josh

dcameraman

1080Wayne,

I've done that with other materials, steel, wood, etc. With those materials it seems like the grinding wheel has enough of a grip to spin and grind whatever I was working on. With the stone . . . mohs hardness of about 7.5, it feels like the grinding wheel doesn't have enough grip to spin the blank. There were a few times when I was able to get it to spin . . . but, 8" wheel @ 1750 rpm spinning .5" wheel = about 28,000 rpm some of the rock decided to fly away!

So now, I use a flex shaft to spin the rock blank.

As for being rather bulbous . . . you are right. I have lots of stone, and plan to experiment with it for a long time to come. Jasper, quartz, petrified wood . . . should be fun.

Josh

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful! You've answered most of my questions, except how you drilled the tube hole? Or maybe it is solid enough to omit the tubes. Are special drills needed?

Cheers, Mark

BobGast

I do lapidary work and have always wanted to try this. What size drill bit did you use? I think that the largest that I have is 4mm. I bet it took a long time to drill the hole. Did you drill from both sides or plan on some blowout and take it back to the saw? The only thing that kept me from trying this is that I figured the pens would weigh too much. Seeing this has gotten some of my creative thinking going again. Thanks for showing these pens.

Top Bottom