Jarrah Churchill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Buzz

Buzz

This was a special order. The Jarrah has been lightly ebonised and a Titanium Gold kit used. Comments welcome.

200822865837_ChurchillEbonisedJarrah2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzz

Thanks for all the positive comments.

What is "ebonizing"? I soaked some steel wool in vinegar for a couple of days, shaking it a little now and then, and then strained the liquid into another container. The resulting liquid is basically used like a stain and applied after sanding and before finishing with CA/BLO.

The liquid does not look particularly black, but if I had applied several coats the timber would have finished up very dark. As it was, I gave it only one light coat.

This process works better on some timbers than others, and I would suggest trying it on scraps before a nice pen on the lathe that is all but finished.

For comparison sake, this Sedona was made from the same board.

200822823448_Sedona.jpg

Thanks for the explanation, Chris. That's a dramatic difference for a single coat. I'll have to give it a try, while heeding your advice to test it on a wood sample, first.

Buzz

Mike

I just apply it with a paper towel and dry it off on a clean section of the same towel. Go lightly and dry it off regularly to check the effect you are getting. Obviously stop when you are happy with the colour.:D

Top Bottom