IMG_3049.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3076.jpg
    IMG_3076.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

Really great looking pen, turned out really nice.

Looks like it was very challenging, too. :biggrin:

Rod

leehljp

Member Liaison
The past wisdoms shared on this forum has had a great impact. You have done them proud!

Beautiful pen! Patience is a virtue that results in a beautiful pen from an impossible blank! This is what dreams are made of!

Congratulations Mark!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice Mark. I like the color choice. How did you finish it?

Thank You Chuck! Sanded to 600 grit, then three days of Wipe On Poly, about 6 coats - got busy, so it was 6-8 hrs between coats.

Wow, I need to use the Library to learn how to cast. Brilliant:biggrin:

LOL - No casting! I turned the blank down till about 1MM proud, then inlayed several layers of Turquoise - very fine initially, the a larger grit size. Thin CA.

There were many inclusions all the way down to the brass tube, and I got about 95% of them. This isn't for any sale (keeping it hidden from LOML for a few days), so the few flaws don't bother me in the least - it was fun (and was wearing my full face shield).

robutacion

This area has no Jarrah but, I have the very old Colonial Red Gum Burl that is places looks exactly that that blank. I have lots of blanks cut and put aside, the problem is that most of them have the cracks but they are not as open as yours that means that they are more difficult to cast there is, the bigger the openings the better for casting.

There are many ways to fill and turn those type blanks, the problem is to maintain the integrity of the blank while working on it, without the filling stuck to the cracks, the blank breaks apart very easily.

Well done...!

Cheers
George

OZturner

Mark, are you telling us that you paid good money for those Blanks? :eek: :biggrin:
Does your wife let you use a Credit Card?
And did you say he was a Friend? :confused:

Joking aside, "The Boy Did Good".:good:
I marveled at the Photograph, of these two poor Blanks, with splints down their sides, to keep their remaining Innards intact.
With a large bandage wrapped around to stop the Splints from Blasting Away, and that was just to drill a hole.

Then the Stuffing with the Powdered Turquoise, applying Gallons of CA, liberally spread into every Nook and Cranny and around the Blank, as well as the Stuffing.

What a lot of Fun. :frown:

In spite of all of that, a Brilliant Blank has emerged, like the Phoenix from the Embers,

Great work Mark, :highfive:
Many of us would have, discarded them to a Fiery Future, But not you.

They are Auditioning for the lead in another remake of "Mission Impossible" perhaps you "should" be interested.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:
Top Bottom