Japanese Yew Root

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hilltopper46

hilltopper46

I dug this up out of the front yard. (Really!) It is Japanese Yew root burl.

Feel free to comment. I know there are some fit and finish issues with the pen - it was the first cigar I turned in some time and I was 'relearning' some things.

20087723557_Pen260.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

The finish looks great and the wood is really nice. It looks to be slightly proud of the bushings. If anything I prefer to be just slightly under then the end of the wood is protected from catching in pockets etc. Really nice when you can get a piece of wood like that in your yard and for free.:D

JohnU

Very Nice! Who would have thought something that awesome could grow in WI sand soil. And I just wanted to go there to fish. Next time I'm taking my saw and shovel!

marcruby

All in all a good choice of an unusual wood and kit. Pretty well executed as well. Don't we all have fit and finish issues in this era of making too many pens from too many kits?

Marc

Originally posted by hilltopper46

I dug this up out of the front yard. (Really!) It is Japanese Yew root burl.

Feel free to comment. I know there are some fit and finish issues with the pen - it was the first cigar I turned in some time and I was 'relearning' some things.

20087723557_Pen260.jpg

keithkarl2007

is that really the root, i,ve seen bog oak roots everywhere but i never thought it would be big enough for pens.

hilltopper46

Thanks everybody for the nice comments...

...and the charitable and tactful reluctance to mention that fact that the finish (CA) chipped off the barrel near the bottom of the clip end when I took it off the bushing.

Workinforwood wrote:
Take any pictures of the root before you made your pen?
and kiethKarl2007 wrote:
is that really the root,

Yes, I am sure it is really the root. I have a dull chainsaw chain and a ruined 1/2-inch bandsaw blade to prove it. Here are some pics...

...here is a piece of one of the roots that I have 'processed'

20087922216_Piece.jpg

Here are two pieces yet to cut up.

20087922510_001.jpg

And, here is a box of processed pieces that I have collected so far. Some long enough to be a pen blank, and some shorts enough to make 1/2 blank or a Sierra or Atlas.

2008792234_Processed.jpg

Top Bottom