Iwo Jima Sand Majestic and ?? Wood ID please help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Florida Marine

This is going to be a Christmas gift for my CO's friend - which one to be decided since its the 2nd one I made for her (the other is going to a General Officer friend of her's, both I am doing just for cost since both are amazing Marines/Sailors and i am glad to pass along my hand craft to them).

The top is my Iwo Jima Sand - which in this pen is my pinnacle so far, I have learned a LOT of what not to do by accident, none of which resulted in a significant loss of sand, but more then I would have cared for.

I have it down to a repeatable process now.

The bottom - is a piece of mystery burl that I need a hand with a possible ID on.

To date all of the pens with Iwo sand have either been a Garand stock or a Cartridge. This pen was intended for a Navy Doctor/CAPTAIN who has done a BUNCH of great stuff for Marines both here in CONUS and just recently in Afghanistan. She is also my recent primary car doc and is aiding in getting a long ailing shoulder (9 years) that I tore a tendon in fixed. So I wanted to do something special for her. I dug through my bin and found this spectacular piece of wood - no clue to its origin, where I got it or who may have given it to me. If you gave it to me, trust me its going to a special person who has done a BUNCH of stuff for Marines in combat.

Anyway, please see if you can help me ID this wood! Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
One thanks, I like they way they look together also, its better in person then it portrays in pictures.

Two, I am chuckling since I have NEVER even heard of that wood, but I agree that is very close to what I have. When I tell the boss, she has a pen potentially made out of Afzelia she is going to look at my like "what?". Afzelia ma'am, its in the pea/legume family from Africa.

barrysj

Afzelia rocks by the way, it comes in so many variations, but two to three colors usually have some sort of grey in them like this one I made:

1_afzelia_pen.jpg

wiset1

The wood has already been address so I'll comment on the concept and final turn of the pen. I think you're doing an amazing thing here with a historic stroy behind the casting of the sand. The fact that you are passing it on to another Soldier is a great move and exhibits the type of gesture we've come to know Soldiers for. Always willing to help others! I give our young Marines that guard our building at work the 50 Caliber pens as a Thank you for their efforts in keeping the Joint Force facility safe. You're doing great work and from one Soldier to another...I'll say that it makes me proud to see it! Keep it up partner.

Last edited:

Timbo

I also believe the wood is Amboyna burl with both heartwood (reddish orange) and sapwood (tan). I've turned a handful of pieces and that's what mine looks like.

Top Bottom