Ivory Jr. Staesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dpstudios

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpstudios

Imitation ivory. Rhodium & Black Titanium fb. Persnickety stuff to turn, though when it's going good, it's good. Like butter cream. Hopefully this stuff will pick up a patina from handling. I think it would have looked better in the gold though.

1_Imitation%20ivory%20Jr%20Statesman%20fb%20closed.jpg

567_Imitation%20ivory%20Jr%20Statesman%20fb%20open.jpg

Comments always appreciated & as ever..Thanks for looking.
Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dpstudios

Gee folks, wow, thanks for the nice comments. [:I] Did a show today & it was picked up & handled quite alot. Nobody bought it, but at the price I set for it I can understand why. Wrong crowd. Always next week.
Dan

Dan

Very retro Dan, that's agreat looking pen. I think in this case, the gold would have detracted from that beautiful ivory material. Where did you find it? And what did you use for a finish?

Dan
Unionville, VA

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dan,

Two comments-first, nice job on the imitation ivory. That is one of the more "finicky" plastics, so cheer up, it gets better or worse, depending on what you choose to turn next!! I'm with you, tho', I have used gold with this material frequently-I think it has a better selling potential.

SECOND: I have a rule about shows-never do any in January or Feb. This is based on the theory that Christmas has "tapped out" the finances of the buyers. However, I can be persuaded that I am incorrect!! Do you find that you sell much in these months?? Thanks for any feedback (of course, in Wisconsin there is also the possibility I will be pulling my 20 foot trailer in a foot of snow-not an appealing thought!!)[:(][:(][:(]

nilsatcraft

Great looking pen! Nice fit and finish as well. I like working with the Alternative Ivory because, like you said, when it's going good, it's good.

MDWine

If you find this alternate material too 'finicky', try Holly!!
Holly (yes, I'm a Holly freak!) turns very easily, but is a tad bit soft. Turn to a bit 'fatter' dimensions, and sand to size. The nice thing about holly is the grain, especially when you put it in sunlight... be careful of bushing dust, you don't want to ruin the nice white color with black streaks!

JimGo

That's a beauty! I especially like the 2nd pic of it; it is very nicely composed, albeit a tad dark. The fit and finish on the pen look great!

Borg_B_Borg

I agree that gold would have enhanced its beauty more than black Ti. Another way to really spruce it up is to give it an even more retro look by adding scrimshaws. No, I'm not suggesting you to learn the art of scrimshaw. There is a quick and dirty as well as cheap alternative using laser engraving (by Ken Nelson of Kallenshaan Woods, for example). I generally find plain ivory pens without some sort of inlaying or engraving to be too bland, sort of like having a cake baked to perfection that lacks frosting.

Steve

csb333

That looks really good. I tried some alternative ivory about a year ago and quickly broke it into little pieces. Maybe I'll try again. The rhodium looks great with it! Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom