Ivory and Ebony pair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

jskeen

Well, I can finally relax the sphincters a notch or two, I got these two completed, wrapped and ready to go. Managed to get it done without opening any of the cracks in the ivory up and everything seems kosher for now. Gonna put them in the office for a while and check back in a month or so.

Please pardon my substandard photography. The first image shows the ivory well, the second the ebony.

2008326183026_ivory1.jpg

I had originally thought the wood was gaboon ebony, but after seeing how much brown there is in the finished product, it may be massacar. Opinions solicited. :)

2008326183049_ivory2.jpg

Comments, suggestions, criticisms, ect welcomed, with one exception. Anyone quoting lyrics from cheesy 80's pop songs by washed up old rock musicians will be mercilessly heaped with scorn and ridicule. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hello

I like the idea of ebony and ivory.
So far, I've not encountered a pen thats seperate solid colors on each end that I like - buts just my personal preference.
I think the turning is great....and I think your new light tent will serve you well (assuming this photo is a good indicator).
It may just be the photo, but it looks like the shine of the finish on the two pieces isn't the same.

Dan_F

Nice job on the pen. It's an interesting idea to put them together, but to me, the contrast is too great. It also makes it very difficult to photograph.

Dan

jskeen

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming.

Both ends got a CA finish, and the Shine is pretty consistent, the top pen in the photo the cap and body are at different angles, but the bottom one shows a consistent light line. The second photo is too bright to show it at all.

As for the black and white, I've done pretty well down here with my antler top and wood body pens, or the combination of antler and dark gemsbok or blackbuck horn. This is an attempt to take that success to the higher end. It may fail miserably, in which case i will turn some ebony caps from the other half of the two blanks, and try to round up another hippo tooth to make some bodies out of. We shall see. I am definitely going to pick up a TI gold FP kit and convert one over though, which will be a first. I personally like the white cap over the dark body, but I guess I'm in the minority there :)

Yes, it is pretty much impossible to photograph well.

Top Bottom