Ivory and Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's an ElMostro resin blank called Ivory and Ebony on a 22K Jr. Statesman Rollerball. I learned really quickly that you have to sand with minimal pressure on the sandpaper to keep the small particles of the black resin from getting embedded into the white resin. Other than that, I think the finishing went pretty smoothly:rolleyes:. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Ivory and Ebony_2.jpg
    Ivory and Ebony_2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Ivory and Ebony_1.jpg
    Ivory and Ebony_1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Ivory and Ebony.jpg
    Ivory and Ebony.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 202
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

I learned really quickly that you have to sand with minimal pressure on the sandpaper to keep the small particles of the black resin from getting embedded into the white resin. Doc:)

BEAUTIFUL PEN!

One way to reduce the sanding issue above is to apply some thin CA to the blank once you are done turning but prior to sanding the blank. Take one of those little plastic bags pen parts come in and put it over your index finger. Then apply some thin CA on the bag and hand turn the blank on the lathe while holding your finger with he CA against the barrels. Let it dry then sand lightly.
Thanks for posting, Eugene.

PenPal

Hi Doc,

Forgive me if I relate a short resume of an experience I had in 1985 during a long journey around the world. I left the West coast of Scotland by ferry to Nth Ireland off the ferry by now carrying three suitcases camera around the neck and so on the heavens opened and I had all my luggage on a tiny trolley with tiny wheels in the deepening downpour. Arrived at my home stay lightning everywhere , thunder black as ink the house reminiscent of Wuthering Heights Mansion. Met by the lady of the house at the door I was all in, pleasantries over off to bed. The bed was enormous and here was my great experience that reminds me clearly after viewing your pen.

The bed was black, the sheets were stark white and starched and ironed, not since I was a member of my Mums household had I known such incredible purity of linen and yes my Mum starched and ironed the sheets. My Mum was born 1908.

That stark white and black exudes purity and absolute tone since black and white are not colours by definition but tones. Love it and I admire the way you kept that separation never for the fainthearted. Boy your collection must range in approaches, blank shapes and sizes the best of.

In 1985 I was given three months to live with Cancer so I was newly informed reason I made that journey and you prompted my memories with your outstanding pen.

Thank you my friend I look forward to your work always.

Kind regards Peter.

wizard

Thank you all for the kind comments and encouragement. Thanks to Eugene (ElMostro) for the creation of such a beautiful blank! Doc

wizard

I learned really quickly that you have to sand with minimal pressure on the sandpaper to keep the small particles of the black resin from getting embedded into the white resin. Doc:)

BEAUTIFUL PEN!

One way to reduce the sanding issue above is to apply some thin CA to the blank once you are done turning but prior to sanding the blank. Take one of those little plastic bags pen parts come in and put it over your index finger. Then apply some thin CA on the bag and hand turn the blank on the lathe while holding your finger with he CA against the barrels. Let it dry then sand lightly.
Thanks for posting, Eugene.

Eugene, I got a good result sanding lightly up to 600 grit followed by MM to 12000 grit as shown in the the pictures. However, I wanted to ask..do you normally use or recommend a CA finish on your ebony/ivory series of pen blanks after tuning and finishing either to 600 grit or even after MM.
Regards, Doc

OKLAHOMAN

As usual you've done a first rate job on an outstanding blank, so much so that I had to order some of his blanks. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom