I've NEVER seen pine cone treated like this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

377103_264184593641613_100001502242963_714095_1349077260_n.jpg

387835_264184643641608_100001502242963_714096_1159909376_n.jpg

Made this one out of 2 pine cones from my front yard. I haven't seen a pen quite like this done in pine cone. The missus asked me NOT to go down and do battle with pine cones, as it usually results in thrown objects and profanity. I was feeling pretty gutsy and decided to try to do this, and the challenge was in getting the finish down with the ends hanging free without sanding back through on the edges. I couldn't really tear into the CA like normal with the finish, but it's still decent. I like this one, and it was a LOT less stressful than the last time when I swore pine cone off until reasonable money was on the table. I did remember to stabilize with thin CA as needed as well as keeping a sharp gouge.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ragz

William Young as done several of pinecone pens.

From what I gather it's best to stabilize them with lots of thin CA which helps in turning and finishing. Also the bigger the cone the better. Not sure what you used but sugar pine cones have a good amount of meat on them.

They do make for some neat looking pens. Good job on yours

Drstrangefart

William Young as done several of pinecone pens.

From what I gather it's best to stabilize them with lots of thin CA which helps in turning and finishing. Also the bigger the cone the better. Not sure what you used but sugar pine cones have a good amount of meat on them.

They do make for some neat looking pens. Good job on yours

I'm pretty sure it's longneedle pine. Huge cones. And I get a few dozen every year in my front yard. I've done a good handful before, but it's been a good while. Last handful of attempts went horribly, horribly wrong in spite of flooding with CA, using good cones, etc.

Drstrangefart

ive never done a pine cone, but ive done a uncasted banksia pod. Took me 4 days to finish it. Yours looks great!

Thanks! I haven't encountered banksia pod yet. If you want some pine cones like these, I can probably help you out. My tree is still shedding them. They just need to be drenched with thin CA repeatedly and handled as if very fragile. That top barrel is the diameter of a 30-06 round, so you can imagine what else could be done with it.

SDB777

I have extreme problems with the cones that are 'opened', looks like you've got that handled! The flaming from the cone 'center' looks more yellow then I'm use to seeing(I use Afghan Pine Cone from AZ)....

The finish looks okay from here!! You done good!!!!

Scott (keep 'em coming) B

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
pine cone pens

I do pine cones quite often: they are time consuming and rewarding at the same time. here is a trio I have done in the past.

Attachments

• #16.JPG
    #16.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 180
  • #17.JPG
    #17.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 5-3-10 005.JPG
    5-3-10 005.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 161

Drstrangefart

I have extreme problems with the cones that are 'opened', looks like you've got that handled! The flaming from the cone 'center' looks more yellow then I'm use to seeing(I use Afghan Pine Cone from AZ)....

The finish looks okay from here!! You done good!!!!

Scott (keep 'em coming) B

SQUIRRELS!!!!! Theu apparently find these delicious, and clean all the tabs off for me, so all I pick up is a huge core. Works great!

Top Bottom