I've been working on my photography

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rbragg08

rbragg08

I have taken pictures of these same pens about 50 times. I think I am finally on to something. The first is a Mesquite Burl Ultra Cigar. The second is a Purple acrylic Ultra Cigar and the third is an Amboyna Burl Elegant. No photoshop or cropping.

Attachments

• IMG_1829.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1838.jpg
    IMG_1838.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

Really nice work on both the pens and photography. Can you give details as to the camera, lighting setup, background material, etc?

txcwboy

If you were to crop the background to just the pen. Picture size would be reduced. Its a common mistake when taking a picture that the background isnt part of the picture, like a landscape pic. . You can also zoom to just have the pen fill the viewfinder.Then all the pixels are of the pen not a background.Pic is nice though.
Keep up the good work !

Dave

rbragg08

Thanks for the comments. I am basically using one overhead diffused light with the pen on a white piece of foam board inside a light box. I am not illuminating the light box from the outside. I set my camera on the smallest aperture that I could to increase the depth of field which meant I had to use a very slow shutter speed to get the proper exposure.

W.Y.

Thanks for the comments. I am basically using one overhead diffused light with the pen on a white piece of foam board inside a light box. I am not illuminating the light box from the outside. I set my camera on the smallest aperture that I could to increase the depth of field which meant I had to use a very slow shutter speed to get the proper exposure.

Excellent pictures .

Can you elaborate on the settings a little ? Is that an ordinary digital camera or a SLR. ? What do you mean by smallest aperture as referred to an ordinary digital camera ? Is that the same as ISO ? The smallest setting on mine is 100 .
Easy to see I am not a photographer but I am getting better. :wink:

What image size do you take your pictures at before reducing them for web posting?

Your overhead diffused light . . . is that florescent with one of those eggcrate type diffusers with the little square holes ?

Could you show a picture of your light tent that you take your pictures from the top in.

If this is too much for here you can email me at valleyview@wynndel.ca

This is the quality level of one of my pictures so far. Although the pens are practically the same as being true to life the coloring of the black walnut is not.
This is an untouched picture just as it came off my camera apart from resizing down to 640 x 480.
The camera is a Sony DSC-H10. You might want to do a google on that camera to see what settings I have available.

362414946.jpg

Last edited:

rbragg08

Sorry for the delay. I just did several trial and error pictures. I ended up with a very slow shutter speed and a small aperture with about a 400 ISO. My specifics won't help because every camera and situation is different. My light setup is simply a large can light with a daylight bulb and a nylon diffuser. I use the same sizing parameters that you do when I upload to my website.

I hope this helps.

keapople

Can you be more specific on your render/upload settings?

Everytime I upload a photo it has to be reduced so far that the image quality suffers...

kirby

rbragg08

Kirby, I use iPhoto on a Mac so I'm not sure if it will help if you are using Windows but, I export my photos with a maximum size of 640 x 640.

W.Y.

For windows XP I use the image resizer in this list.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

After you download you will be able to right click on any picture you put on your computer from your camera and resize to a choice of sizes or make a custom size. One click gives you 640 x 480 . There will be no distortion or image quality issues in the down size.
Quick, easy and painless :wink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom