Its a Piano Keyboard - Tutorial added

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chuck Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Key

I know, the picture is a little busy but Seasonal, the mirror image is out of focus and it is not wood. Anyway, this is my first attempt at a keyboard glue up.

2005121431141_KEYBOARD.jpg

Chuckie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

So you cut all the sections of the keyboard and glued it up yourself? Thats a great job! What materials did you use and how did you get the lines between the keys?

Deere41h

Very nicely done John....I assume the kit is the Panache. Are you going to share how you did the keyboard? If I had to guess it was printed on paper and embedded in PR. Only a guess though.

That is one very nice pen!!! I really like it.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Deere41h
<br />Very nicely done John....I assume the kit is the Panache. Are you going to share how you did the keyboard? If I had to guess it was printed on paper and embedded in PR. Only a guess though.

That is one very nice pen!!! I really like it.

Yes it is Panache and no I did not use a printer or paper. It is 32 pieces glued up with 31 glue joints.

Here is a list of steps I posted at Yahoo Penturners:

Here is a quick list of the steps performed to complete the keyboard. I believe all the materials are listed except the black rubberized CA glue. Do not attempt the glue up using the black rubberized CA on your anniversery when you are planning to go to Ruth Chris for dinner and to a XMAS party that evening.

You will not need a mandrel or bushings to complete this project.

1. Cut and glue up 17 Corian strips 1/8 x 1/2 x 3/4
2. Disk sand to make all surfaces flat
3. Cut slots for sharps and flats on table saw half way through the 1/2 inch thickness. Diablo blade.
4. Glue in black keys cut from .060 sheet Styrene
5. Flaten all sides again and sand to final thinkness of about 3/8 for this pen.
6. Glue on strips for solid sides.
7. Glue on end accent. I used plexi glass
8. Also added a piece of waste corian to the other end of the plexi glass to mount in chuck.
9. Sand to form a 5/8 x 5/8 blank.
10. Find center of blank and mount in 4 jaw chuck in metal lathe.
11. Drill hole through to plexi glass trim.
12. Take pressure of two of the jaws just enough to move the blank to hold it by the waste piece on the end.
13. Mout the other end on a rotating center and resecure the 4 jaw chuck on the waste.
14. Shape the blank with lite cuts.
15. Form the closed end and part off most of the way through.
15. Sand and finish.
16. Part off the closed end and clean up as needed.

If you were to count individual segments after drilling they would total 61 pieces and 61 glue joints.

Chuckie

Chuck Key

Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />oh, how did you thread the inside of the cap?

Again, really nice job!

Used the center thread section from the kit. Removed the trim piece from the female thread end before glueing it in the tube.

A person could make a pen look like one continuous keyboard by not using any of the center trim, just the threaded inserts.

Chuckie

JimGo

Chuckie, I think I see some problems with it. If you send it to me, I'll analyze it for a while and suggest some improvements.

It was worth a try! [:D]

Tea Clipper

Wow, very nice Chuckie - thanks for the instructions too! That looks like a lot of work/effort there, I'm glad it worked out for you (I'd hate to see it blow up into a million pieces![:0]). You must have been sweating bullets turning that thing, huh ?!?

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br />Wow, very nice Chuckie - thanks for the instructions too! That looks like a lot of work/effort there, I'm glad it worked out for you (I'd hate to see it blow up into a million pieces![:0]). You must have been sweating bullets turning that thing, huh ?!?

Actually, I had the keys glued up for a bottom barrel of the same style. It had 24 keys on it. Messed it up when cutting the slots for the sharps and flats. Just one bad cut will trash the whole barrel.

Didn't sweat any bullets. It was 20 degrees here last evening and my shop could use a much improved heating system in that weather.

Chuckie

Darley

Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />
Yes is Panache and no I did not use a printer or paper. It is 32 pieces glued up with 31 glue joints.

ere is a list of steps I posted at Yahoo Penturners:

Here is a quick list of the steps performed to complete the keyboard. I believe all the materials are listed except the black rubberized CA glue. Do not attempt the glue up using the black rubberized CA on your anniversery when you are planning to go to Ruth Chris for dinner and to a XMAS party that evening. """ Could you explaind I'm short of brain with this comment, Thanks """

4. Glue in black keys cut from .060 sheet Styrene
Chuckie

When you talking about styrene, is a petrol product? we do have it here but is use for tomatoe or brocoli boxes but would melt with CA what kind of styrene you talking about, where do you get black CA? never heard before, Thanks

Tea Clipper

Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />
Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br />Wow, very nice Chuckie - thanks for the instructions too! That looks like a lot of work/effort there, I'm glad it worked out for you (I'd hate to see it blow up into a million pieces![:0]). You must have been sweating bullets turning that thing, huh ?!?

Actually, I had the keys glued up for a bottom barrel of the same style. It had 24 keys on it. Messed it up when cutting the slots for the sharps and flats. Just one bad cut will trash the whole barrel.

Didn't sweat any bullets. It was 20 degrees here last evening and my shop could use a much improved heating system in that weather.

Chuckie

I like just the top barrel look... but didn't you feel a little nervous when turning? But not enough to sweat 'cause it was (brrr) freezing outside - alright, you keep your cool under pressure and in the shop, lol![:p]

dfurlano

scroll down page....

http://woodenwonderstx.com/CA_Glue_Page.html

Originally posted by Darley

When you talking about styrene, is a petrol product? we do have it here but is use for tomatoe or brocoli boxes but would melt with CA what kind of styrene you talking about, where do you get black CA? never heard before, Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom