It's not a pen but it's amboyna burl!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edstreet

Status
Not open for further replies.

edstreet

I have got into the habit of doing this with just about all the materials I work with. Back when I started working with wood I had a turner tell me he would put blocks in various locations in his home for over a year before he turned them, his theory was inside each block is an object waiting to come out and his job was to bring it out. Naturally when working with uber expensive items like we do we do not want goofs or the I should have done this with it.

This is 4 3/4 x 4 1/4 x 2

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hazard

Very nice piece of wood. Why ruin it. Leave it as is. Put it on an endtable or something so you can admire it.

I have a piece of mahongany that I bought some years ago that is 6' long x 22" wide x 1" think. I have thought of mounting this on a wall. Why ruin a thing of beauty. I will probably never use the board. Just look at it from time to time.

Chris

edstreet

Cut it? I do not think I will cut this one. I will let it dry (currently 36% i.e. GREEN) then clean it up for display. I think I found me a new photo prop :)

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You can see ONE beautiful piece of wood, to be admired by all who see it in your home.

OR

You COULD see at least TEN pens, to be admired by all the people who MEET the TEN people who are carrying a piece of that piece of amboyna!!!

edstreet

This is the beauty of buying green/wet wood, you get to figure out how best to use it as it does the air dry thing :)

This is also why this stuff runs $250 a board foot.

Ed

workinforwood

Make a great set of carved wings on a forest pixie. Now's the best time...send it over before it's too dry, I'll chuck up the foredom. It's mythical in my imagination..could also see it carved in a dragon or demon face, but I prefer the pixies/fairies myself.

JayDevin

Ed, You need to Cut this block. You are missing so much of the Beauty of the inside!
But Only Make Special Pens with this special wood! Let the Wood inspire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom