It's not always boring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Here's a titanium gold Flat Top American Double Twist from pink ivory I bought through Pens of Color. It was sealed with Russ's formula, then three coats of water-borne lacquer, followed by two coats of TSW.
200521717254_PinkIvoryFTAmerDT.jpg

Thank you for looking. As always, I welcome your comments, critiques and suggestions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Sure doesn't look like the crummy PI I bought at a Major Woodworking chain that likes to use the clor green in their ads.
On my monitor the color is closer to red certainly not like any PI i've ver seen before.
Is that the same kit I mentioned to you?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
While I purchased this kit from Arizona Silhouette (www.arizonasilhouette.com), it's from Berea and takes the B mandrel. As for the blank, I've NEVER been disappointed in anything I've gotten from Sheila at POC. This stuff is all VERY pink and some, like this piece, is nearly red. FYI, this is the first time I've made a kit where I had to part off anything and it's also the first time I've used the B mandrel! Getting the Pen-in-the-hat from Jim Lambert was my inspiration for trying this kit.
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Is that the same kit I mentioned to you?

TheHeretic

I did my first Jr. Gent in Pink Ivory and other than a couple of chip outs I love the pen and the wood. I bought my blank from WoodCraft but waited until they had a new shipment as the blank they had on hand was a bit dismal in my opinion. The blank I got was very similiar to Lou's shown here.

I love the pen Lou. Balance is nice and the appeareance of leaving a bit of a rounded shape rather than the straight bushing to bushin look is on of my favorites.

Not sure I want to start down the road of two mandrel sizes though. Plenty of others for me to choos from

Dean
Columbus OH

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The nice thing about the "B" madrel is it is an exact fit for the 8mm tubes.
I pre drill
and then use the mill to oversize and make my own bushings.
It works well on pens you want to customize with 8mm tubes.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Here's the link to his friction finish article. http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/finish10.shtml Here's the link to his overal archive http://woodturnerruss.com/Index.html The "learning tools" are under Woodturning Stuff. I HIGHLY recomend that any penturner check out the entire site and bookmark it. It's informative and inspirational. If it weren't for Russ, I would not be turning pens. [8D]
Originally posted by melogic
<br />Lou,
Do you happen to have a link to Russ's formula? By the way, I love the pen. My wife really likes PI.

timdaleiden

Lou,

It looks great. I can't find a nit to pick. Fit and finish, shape, colors...it all worked perfect. As the others have mentioned, it looks like a prime piece of Pink Ivory. Very nice.

WoodChucker

Lou, thats a great looking pen and should be a big hit with the Lady's. And thanks for the link, lots of good info there.

JimGo

I actually had the chance to see this pen in person today, and it looks even better in person! GREAT pen, beautiful wood, and nice kit. I only hope my attempt at pink ivory comes out even half as good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom