It's Lou's fault

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

His "Golden Mean" gave me an idea so I thought I'd try it. This pen uses no means, golden or otherwise. I just turned it as I liked it and as the blank dictated (of sorts). Baron desk pen in Aromatic Cedar, lacquer finsh. It has its flaws, but I like it anyway. I screwed up on the cap and used the Gent bushing that I got with the pin chuck instead of thinking about what I was doing. But the foulup looks intentional so maybe I should have kept my mouth, er... fingers shut. Here is the closed view:

20064276145_baronUG_arocedar_desk1.jpg

And Dario's view:

2006427628_baronUG_arocedar_desk2.jpg

Feel free to hammer away. I have thick skin and this one will sit on my desk... unless some hapless soul comes along and wants to buy it.:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Billy I salute the effort but the final result of the style is not to my liking. The tuning looks excellent but it looks like a cross between a regular pen and a desk pen. The cap seems to big for you to carry and to small to make a good desk base.

alamocdc

Thanks, guys. Mike, I actually agree with your sizing assessments. It is too big to be carried and that was the intent. The "base" of the cap needs to be larger in diameter and I intended for it to be. But the hole didn't stay square so I had to live with result. Or scrap it and start over, but I didn't want to waste that piece of Cedar. Surprisingly, it does "stand" better than I thought it would.

alamocdc

Tom, I considered that in the design and actually left it overly long to compensate for 1) the weight of the missing hardware, and 2) the inherent lightness of the Cedar. The result is a pen that is nicely balanced when writing with it, even though it is much lighter than it looks. So far everyone that has held it have been very surprised by that.

chitswood

I Love aromatic Cedar! although I haven't turned any in a long time.
the smell reminds me of the walnut bowl factory in Springfield MO. They make grandfather clocks and Barrels from that wood there, so the whole place smell great.

Superb pen![:D]

BigRob777

Billy,
Gotta love that lacquer. You like those aromatic woods don't you?! Lignum Vitae and AC. My favorite is the Lignum Vitae for aroma. Awesome job on that pen.

I hope you folks don't think I'm snubbing you. I can't spend much time sitting upright in my office chair.
Rob

alamocdc

Actually, Rob, AC is okay, but I LOVE the smell of LV! I also like the smell of Pecan, Coco, Olivewood, Amboyna burl and we musn't forget Mesquite. Truth be know, the reason I chose AC for this one is that I didn't want to risk wasting a jumbo BDR blank on an experiment. [;)] I have some of this AC that I've been trying to figure out what to do with, so it lost... er, I guess won in this case. You can probably figure out what my next desk pen will be made from.

elody21

Sorry to bring up old posts, but I am months behind! This is a beautiful pen Billy. I really makes one look twice! I can see how it will make a nice desk pen and the finish, WOW! Great Job, Alice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom