It's another first....wife's blank!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Just got finished turning this double closed-end pen from a blank that was my wife's 'first' pour. PR, just so everyone knows...3/4" round blank that was 5-3/8" in length(long enough for this kit....)
Think I only came across three or maybe four airholes during the finishing. Wet sanded through 12k with the MM, and then a quick spin with MacGuire's PlastixPolish. Tried to tone the photo's back of the shine to let the blank come through(it was almost impossible). BTW, no painting of the tubes....figured gold on brass would be best....

Had a Sedona kit with Upgraded Gold finish, rollerball of course, and been itching all week to get my table back from the wife's pouring PR activities....finally!

Think I could have made the cap just a 'tad' shorter, but done is done!

Ah, must have photo's!!!
Closed:
DoubleClosed-EndHouse-on-FirePRblankSedona001.jpg

Opened:
DoubleClosed-EndHouse-on-FirePRblankSedona002.jpg

Comments appreciated, but critique on the turning is better!

Scott (not sure if I can offer these blanks for sale, the're too nice) B

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks great. Looks like she found the magic moments to mix them together. I have made a pen or two with long caps and they don`t look bad they just look to long. Your turning looks just dandy from my view.

ctubbs

Now you done it, Scott. You made the worst and best mistakes at teh same time. You allowed your wife to play with your toys. And then you showed off her handy work to the public. OOPS, she now knows her work is very good. Now you will have to make the purchase of new toys for her so you can regain the use of your old ones. Yes, Scott, all the new ones go to her. Too bad, so sad. Will we males never learn?
The casting is beautiful and the pen is spot on. Great job by you both.
Charles

SDB777

Now you done it, Scott. You made the worst and best mistakes at teh same time. You allowed your wife to play with your toys. And then you showed off her handy work to the public. OOPS, she now knows her work is very good. Now you will have to make the purchase of new toys for her so you can regain the use of your old ones. Yes, Scott, all the new ones go to her. Too bad, so sad. Will we males never learn?
The casting is beautiful and the pen is spot on. Great job by you both.
Charles

Luckily, she has already informed me that she wants nothing to do with anything spinning at high speeds....I just need to build her a bench for her casting area.
Must have perfect lighting, and enough room to mix her resins and pour into lots of molds(PTown has already processed that order) and Baby Soda Bottles(those came in the other day)!

I just hope the folks that pick up the trash don't start looking for something to sniff in my trash cans....that's all I need, junkies in the trash. Maybe I'll just burn the trash with the wood scraps??

Thanks everyone! I think I see her head getting bigger every moment!

Scott (but I turned it) B

magpens

Nice work, both of you. But isn't it annoying when your wife takes over the table !!

wiset1

Yeah, now that one is a winner! I love how dynamic it looks...I bet it's a thousand times better in person right?

BSea

Scott,

That looks great. I think that is the one that was setting up as we stirred it. And part of it lifted up when the stir rod was removed. That's why you have the air bubbles. But as I told you. Some of those make the nicest looking finished pens. But it's really hard to reproduce the effect.

I think you should make Lyn a walnut table. That is is you can lay your hands on any walnut. At least you can then turn her blanks without splitting time in the shop. I still want to see one of the Tri-color blanks.

Top Bottom