Irowood Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from smoky10

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoky10

I disliked the desert ironwood that B.B. would put with my orders a lot. I could never get a pen finished without some blow out. I decided to try one more time so I sharpened my gouge and started. Half way through I sharpened it again and got a pen. I really like the looks of it.
2005311215935_Ironwood%20baron.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Tom, I find that I get much better results on ironwood using my skew... and sometimes light touches a scraper... tough wood to work with sometimes, but the results are usually well worth it...

Gary

Nice pen, Tom. I'm a big fan of the desert ironwood. You are right in that sharp tools are a must as is slow drilling.

tomwojeck

Nice Tom! I have a piece of the same stuff from BB that I've been holding onto wondering if it would be difficult to work with. Thanks for posting your advice

wicook

I haven't tried working with Ironwood, but BB tossed a couple in with an order, so I've been keeping an eye out to see what hints I could find about working with it. The comments in this thread have been helpful. Maybe this weekend... [;)] Yours looks very nice.

wpenm

BB must have sent out alot of the Ironwood. I have some myself. Guess I had better see what I can do with it. Glad I read this. Maybe I will have some good luck. BTW Tom, great looking pen!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I also got some iron wood from BB as a freebie but it's severly cracked so I don't plan to attempt it.
Honestly I am not crazy about the wood as pictured.
Not meant as a derrogatory remark about the work on the pens fit or finish, just the wood.

TheHeretic

after reading a few of the comments about saving some of the freebies that Bill throws in, I'm glad I am not alone. I am holding a piece of the golden desert ironwood as well. I didnt want to do it in the basic Cigar style that I do the most of and just put it up on the shelf for the right time and kit to come along. Well I got my Gents kits the other day from the CSUSA sale last week and I might have a winner there.

guess the point is that its nice to see that some of what I call quirks in my habits are somewhat normal in the rest of the penturning world.

Dean
Columbus OH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom