Ironwood Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vakmere

vakmere

Did this with angle cut ironwood. Great stuff to work with, one of my favorites. The interesting thing is when I hold it vertically I see shimmer on the cap and when inverted, shimmer on the writing end. All the lines line up nicely. This is different and you have to see this in person to believe it.
Not likely I'll be mailing this out to all of you to pass around, you'll have to take my word. C&C welcome, enjoy...

Attachments

• DSC04352.jpg
    DSC04352.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC04354.jpg
    DSC04354.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC04361.jpg
    DSC04361.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Know just what you're speaking of. I believe the effect is termed "chatoyance".

Regardless of the fancy name, that's certainly one fine, fine pen! Love the diagonal cut on the wood.

nanosec12

I agree with your wood choice as well, it's my second favorite wood. Lignum Vitae is my real favorite, even though the desert ironwood usually ends up looking better.

carlconner

Vakmere,
Very pretty. I have a question for you - I have found that the term "Ironwood" is used for many different species of trees ranging from some in the South West to very different trees in the South and East. I am also working in "Ironwood" which I have identified as American Hornbeam.

My question - do you know any more about the type of Ironwood you have here?

Thanks!
Carl Conner

BSea

DIW has to be seen in person to get the full effect. It'a also one of my favorites. Too bad the price keeps skyrocketing on this stuff.

vakmere

Vakmere,
Very pretty. I have a question for you - I have found that the term "Ironwood" is used for many different species of trees ranging from some in the South West to very different trees in the South and East. I am also working in "Ironwood" which I have identified as American Hornbeam.

Thanks!
Carl Conner

Unfortunately no. I saw this type of iron wood on eBay and went for ones that had nice figure and color. I asked the man if he could angle cut some for me and he did. I bought 6 pieces. This batch came from Arizona. Yes it is pricey but the results are fantastic as you can see. Sorry I could not be a little more informational.

BSea

Vakmere,

Thanks!
Carl Conner

Unfortunately no. I saw this type of iron wood on eBay and went for ones that had nice figure and color. I asked the man if he could angle cut some for me and he did. I bought 6 pieces. This batch came from Arizona. Yes it is pricey but the results are fantastic as you can see. Sorry I could not be a little more informational.
I'm about 99.9% sure that's Desert Iron Wood. I've turned several pens from it. It smells like old dirt when you turn it. But the results are fantastic.

bloodhound

That is a very nice pen. I would love to see it in the sun light. I find there is no better light to show up some woods than sun. Anyway, very nice. keep it up.

vakmere

I believe Bob is correct. This is what they really look like as blanks.

Attachments

• 100_4907.jpg
    100_4907.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 150

carlconner

Vakmere,

Thanks!
Carl Conner

I'm about 99.9% sure that's Desert Iron Wood. I've turned several pens from it. It smells like old dirt when you turn it. But the results are fantastic.

Thanks - Desert Ironwood is what I thought it was. Again - very nice.

Top Bottom