Ironwood burl and stabilized mineral stained afzelia burl on Atrax chrome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

I have been itching for some pens lately, I discovered the Atrax kit, really like it. It is simple and it shows wood well.

The wood is sanded to 1500 with Doctor's Woodshop pen plus finish which is shellac, carnauba wax and walnut oil formulation if im not mistaken. I had the bottle for two years and never tried it yet.

I try to stay away from CA these days, I'd rather have some stabilized wood and more dense/voidless/stable woods than fighting against the nature of the wood. Those blanks did not really need a finish anyway.

Have a look at the pen by clicking the thumbails for full size picture.

Thanks for your time,

Charles

Ironwood burl

Afzelia burl mineral stained

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Great pair Charles, I have been wondering how long you would go, without making some pens, you do good work on the pens and of your pics, they're always crisp and clear as a whistle..!:wink:

I agree with you on the advantages of the good stabilized wood/blanks and the possibility it offers in workability and wood protection, without having to rely on the CA.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found a suitable product to the super thin CA and accelerator to use in conjunction with many of the blanks I make that, require that extra soaking to compensate for the few materials I use where stabilization is not enough so, my exposure to CA is still of about 1 litre per month.

In fact, just a few hours ago, I paid for my next order from my glues and other connected stuff, supplier, a bill that almost knock me out of the chair, as it is paid in US$dollars and the last time I ordered, the Aussie dollar was at and equivalent value of the US dollar but now, is down to 70ct to $1, what a difference it makes...!:eek::frown:

Anyway, good to see you about..!

Cheers
George

CharlesH

Hey George,

Glad to hear from you, hope things are going well! I feel you, CA has it's uses for sure, especially in your case. Thanks for the kind words.

I seen your shop on eBay and you make nice blanks for sure! :)

C

Great pair Charles, I have been wondering how long you would go, without making some pens, you do good work on the pens and of your pics, they're always crisp and clear as a whistle..!:wink:

I agree with you on the advantages of the good stabilized wood/blanks and the possibility it offers in workability and wood protection, without having to rely on the CA.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found a suitable product to the super thin CA and accelerator to use in conjunction with many of the blanks I make that, require that extra soaking to compensate for the few materials I use where stabilization is not enough so, my exposure to CA is still of about 1 litre per month.

In fact, just a few hours ago, I paid for my next order from my glues and other connected stuff, supplier, a bill that almost knock me out of the chair, as it is paid in US$dollars and the last time I ordered, the Aussie dollar was at and equivalent value of the US dollar but now, is down to 70ct to $1, what a difference it makes...!:eek::frown:

Anyway, good to see you about..!

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Both pens are beautiful Charles! Check out the Triton Kit, you may like that as well.

I use a similar finish to yours, and I also prefer it to CA in most cases!

Great blanks you have there!

Be well.

MikeL

Very nice pens! Impressive finish and photo. I use CA more than anything but my sinuses sure don't like it.

Top Bottom