Ironbark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I received this blank in the last International Penswap from Fred Brunings (BigShed) along with two very nice Cigars in a wood case . One of them was made of this Red Ironbark . This blank is from the bark of the tree which can grow to 3-4 inches thick . It's pretty tricky to work with . I wanted to get a little more confident in my turning before turning this one . I chose a Chrome Baron RB to go with the blank . Thank you Fred and I hope you like it ! Thanks all for looking !

Attachments

• IMG_0289-1.JPG
    IMG_0289-1.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0290-1.JPG
    IMG_0290-1.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Fellers !! I'm especially proud of this one first because of where it came from , and second , what it took for me to get it finished .

I appreciate the compliments !

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I really like the pattern of the wood. The finish is nice. If it is bark is it brittle or so thick that it is more like soft wood.

It's kind of soft , but it has tiny pockets , sort of like a sponge . I coated it with CA before drilling and three more times while turning . A slurry during sanding was necessary .

BigShed

Great job on the ironbark Charles, looks fantastic. It is tricky isn't it? Doing some WW casting with it at present, will send you some when I am happy with it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Butch , Jim and Ken . Your kind words are encouraging .

Thanks Fred ! I have still another of these blanks I'm saving for a Fountain Pen . I would love to have some of your WW blanks . I'm sure they will be nice .

chriselle

That's a beauti Chuck. I drew Fred this round of the swap..:eek: We're both "feeling" each other out trying to get an idea what each other might like. I told him I was sending a wax finish slimline in some non-descript wood...:wink:

Actually, nothing exciting is coming to mind.:confused:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That's a beauti Chuck. I drew Fred this round of the swap..:eek: We're both "feeling" each other out trying to get an idea what each other might like. I told him I was sending a wax finish slimline in some non-descript wood...:wink:

Actually, nothing exciting is coming to mind.:confused:
Thank you Chris ! Congratulations , Fred is a top notch guy , and I consider him to be a good friend . The pens and blanks he sent me were very nice . We keep in touch with each other , as often as time permits . I'm glad you had the good fortune to be matched with Fred in the drawing . Let me know what you come up with ! :)

Thanks Lupe !!!

Top Bottom