Iron Fountain Pen by Manu Propria

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

This afternoon I finally finished a fountain pen, entirely made of iron.
After turning and polishing the parts were dipped in a solution of vinegar, salt and Hydrogen peroxide. To speed up rusting process the parts are warmed in hot water first before dipping. After 14 days, repeatedly dipping and brushing, the rust has developed over the entire surface. The rust partcicles are removed completely with a bamboo stick. Then the parts are boiled in a thick tea-soup for several minutes.
The tannine in the grean tea stopps rusting process immediately and seals the rust surface to prevent of further rusting. This is a technique developed by Japanese armorers and tsuba makers. Today craftsmen add a thin coat of "Renaissance wax" to give it an additional sealing. I have burned onto the rust surface several thin layers of raw urushi (ki-urushi) that have only been rubbed on.
Cap: Length 70.00 mm, diameter 16.00 mm
Barrel: Lenght 115.00 mm, diameter 16.00 mm
Capped: Length 150.00 mm,
Weight: 70.00 gr
Feeding: Cartridge/Converter/Eye-Dropper
Nib: 750 gold by Bock

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 205
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I love the sleek look of the pen. The shoulder where the cap meets the body looks very small and would seem to not be intrusive while writing with the pen. But doesn't that leave the cap very thin in that area? I suppose with metal it would be durable, but would you use the same design in resin?

The texture you achieved on the iron really makes the pen special.

Ed

manupropria

Cwalker. This is a long story dating back 35 years. At that time I was working as a custom knife maker for many years. As a knife maker you must become attracked by Japanese swords and furniture

Cwalker935

Martin, you piqued my interest so I googled your watches. You certainly have some serious talent and that is an understatement. Those coiling dragon watches are out of this world both literally and figuratively.

Top Bottom