Irish Peat Bog Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mik

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik

The Orchard, Milton Lane, Wookey Hole, Somerset, U
On our travels we came across an Irish man who told us that bog oak is "stacked up and burnt" - "Oh no" Mike said, "perhaps I can rescue some, I will make a pen" - the rest is history!

2005215175848_kint1.jpg

2005215175917_kintband.jpg

Our Irish peat bog oak is from Coleraine, Northern Ireland and is up to 7,000 years old. The Queens University in Belfast have recorded 4,000-bog oak and other ancient oak timbers that spans some 7,000 years.

I later recieved a commission from Canada for a "special" - the pen had to take a jet-tec .2mm rollerball refill!! After much deliberation and head scracthing - the front section was drilled out to not enlarge the nib exit - the refill was trimmed and it worked.
The shape had to be exact and the clients logo - bit difficult to see - but it is an H and a K entertwined.

Bog oak is very unforgiving and will tend to crumble if overheated.

I hope you enjoy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Great pen. I was just reading in John Lehman's book "On Seas Of Glory" about how many of the bog lands in Scotland and Ireland were once forest covered until stripped to build the Navy of the British Empire (40 acres of trees for one ship of the line) and that many of the stumps of those trees still exist - rotting under the surface. Wouldn't it be great to get a hold of some of that wood!?!

woodscavenger

Bring it on.....let us know. If it was down there for a few hundred years I should be about 165 before it dries enough to turn. I hope I can still see my hands and have all of my fingers attached by that age!

mik

The Orchard, Milton Lane, Wookey Hole, Somerset, U
Now now , it has been under there for some 7,000 years, since the Ice Age - did you say you want to be frozen in one of them special chambers and woken some time in the distant future[;)]
Seriously though I reckon around three months, it has been resawed to 3" planks.
Cheers
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Bring it on.....let us know. If it was down there for a few hundred years I should be about 165 before it dries enough to turn. I hope I can still see my hands and have all of my fingers attached by that age!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom